Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   texture on bevelled polygon cube (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11810)

Hanuman 11-05-2004 04:50 AM

texture on bevelled polygon cube

When I create a polygon cube and map a file texture to it, it shows the texture, but when I bevel the same polygon, the texture dissappears!

flabbergasted, and would love to hear some comments on that.

thanks

Matic666 11-05-2004 11:06 AM

Yep Maya does that.... bug or something stupid.... I think Maya 6.0 solve this problem....

Alan 11-05-2004 11:28 AM

you shouldnt be texturing anything until you've fnished modelling so I dont see why this would be a problem... do the bevel then apply the texture.

Basically you are altering the uv layout so I'm not surprised that the texture disappears ;)

Hanuman 11-05-2004 11:44 AM

Pure_Morning: I apply the texture AFTER I do the bevel. I must be missing something simple, but beats me!

Alan 11-05-2004 01:20 PM

that's not what you said:

Quote:

When I create a polygon cube and map a file texture to it, it shows the texture, but when I bevel the same polygon, the texture dissappears!
and my point about the uvs still stands. You need to remap the object to get the texture to appear I would think. Hit automatic mapping and see what happens.

Alan

mtmckinley 11-05-2004 02:18 PM

Yep, any time you add geometry to something usin bevel or extrude or whatever, it doesn't come with UV coordinates. Once the model is done, the next step is UV mapping, and THEN texturing.

vladimirjp 11-05-2004 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mtmckinley
Yep, any time you add geometry to something usin bevel or extrude or whatever, it doesn't come with UV coordinates. Once the model is done, the next step is UV mapping, and THEN texturing.
not entirely true mike. ... but who cares. finish all modeling b4 u texture.

mtmckinley 11-05-2004 02:41 PM

well, it has been true for all my own experiences, I'll put it that way.

Hanuman 12-05-2004 07:50 AM

alan: yes, i owe an explanation: i had initially textured, then beveled. After your first post, though, i had tried bevelling and then texturing, and still got the same problem. but your suggestion of trying automatic worked! thanks for helping me along - maya is so vast that it is seems never ending.

all: thanks for the help - much appreciated!

mtmckinley 12-05-2004 12:47 PM

One thing to keep in mind, while auto mapping for a beveled cube might be fine, for complicated objects, you want to be pretty deliberate about how your UVs are placed. :)

Keep it up!

Alan 12-05-2004 02:29 PM

yes I should have been more clear. The automatic mapping thing was just to show you that it's not a bug it's just that the UVs are messed up. As mike said you need to really spend time getting your UVs sorted properly once you are done modelling.

Alan

Hanuman 13-05-2004 10:21 AM

thanks all!

Diving into yet another unexplored area...