Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Mechanical Spider (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21507)

Radical Edward 14-05-2006 06:02 AM

Mechanical Spider

1 Attachment(s)
Just the rough base and legs for a mechanical spider I am working on as part of an animation. This is the first proper model and animation I have worked on, so any suggestions are welcome. The whole thing is modelled entirely from extruded cubes and cylinders.

Anm8or 14-05-2006 12:15 PM

looks like a cool idea. would like to see some more renders of different angles and perhaps a concept to see where you are going.

13th_resident 14-05-2006 07:25 PM

its looks like that contraption type thing in star wars (episode 1). the thing the bad guy rides on when he is talking with the queen.

Mincher 16-05-2006 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Anm8or
looks like a cool idea. would like to see some more renders of different angles and perhaps a concept to see where you are going.
Agreed, and a wireframe too if you please! God...how i love my wireframes...mmmm....

Looks nice so far! :)

Radical Edward 21-05-2006 04:08 AM

and now for the cannon

1 Attachment(s)
here's the cannon that will be mounted on the spider. The fuel feed still needs doing, and a bit more detail to allow me to animate recoil, but the actuator at the back works (I did it using skeletons and an aim constraint. simple but effective.

Radical Edward 21-05-2006 04:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
actuator short

Radical Edward 21-05-2006 04:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
actuator extended

esion 22-05-2006 02:11 PM

Is the piston locked in position? ie if you move the actuator it moves on its own...or do you have to move it every time? I would like to learn how to make an actual piston that works when you move the model.

Radical Edward 23-05-2006 07:17 AM

when you turn the central sphere, both parts of the piston move accordingly. It's quite simple to do with a skeleton and a couple of aim constraints. I will do a little tutorial tonight if I can.

Jay 23-05-2006 06:48 PM

Its a cool start to your model, but a suggestion - try to avoid sharp edges on the legs etc give them a bevel this way it will look far more realistic in the final renders to come, as the spec hilites will bounce off nicely.

Cheers
Jay

Radical Edward 26-05-2006 11:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the suggestion. My problem is that sometimes it ends up beveling edges that I don't want beveling.

Here is the next step. After days of mucking around I have managed to rig the feeder line from the fuel tank at the back onto the cannon body in such a way that when I rotate it, the feder line bends accordingly. The feeder line is not a perfect curve, and it's not meant to be really. besides I couldn't get the IK splines doing what I want. It was tough enough the way I did it.

Radical Edward 26-05-2006 11:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
and here is the cannon down, to show the effect a bit more.

Jay 26-05-2006 12:22 PM

Quote:

My problem is that sometimes it ends up beveling edges that I don't want beveling.
Then dont select those edges or faces, or use extrude instead, never say die...

Jay

Radical Edward 26-05-2006 04:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Following Jay's advice, I took the opportunity to remodel the leg a little bit, adding some bevelling and extra details. As with the cannon, the pistons on the legs are functional.

Rostoons 26-05-2006 06:12 PM

This is coming along really nicely, love the style. How large is the cannon in comparison to the mechanical spider?

Also i'm curious as to what the plan is for your animation.