Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Finished Work (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Battleship (Finished Work) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26609)

Perfecto 16-06-2007 07:46 AM

Battleship (Finished Work)

1 Attachment(s)
Nothing special, just a simple battleship I modeled today from a tutorial I saw on tutorialscentral.com. I don't have any plans to texture it. One day, I'll apply what I've learned to very detailed battleship and texture that one. This was just a simple modeling project for learning some new techinques. Enjoy!

Perfecto 16-06-2007 07:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
another angle

Perfecto 16-06-2007 07:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
last render

16-06-2007 04:30 PM

Looks cool! My only complaint is the color (that tannish color doesn't look like it would go on a ship) and the shadows look weird.
:beer:

wasatch5_sparticus 16-06-2007 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jr.Who
Looks cool! My only complaint is the color (that tannish color doesn't look like it would go on a ship) and the shadows look weird.
:beer:

It's not textured, it's simply a model. I love it! how long did it take you? It looks far beyond simple!! KUTGW

Sparticus

16-06-2007 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by wasatch5_sparticus
It's not textured, it's simply a model. I love it! how long did it take you? It looks far beyond simple!! KUTGW

Sparticus

I know it's not textured, but he did put that color on it, so I'm sure he could put a different one on there very easily.

Perfecto 16-06-2007 07:09 PM

Thanks for comments guys. I worked on it on and off yesterday. My best guess is that it took me about 5 hours, maybe 6.

The color is actually coming from the directional light (yellow tint). Everything is is the default lambert. I didn't add any colors or make any changes to the default lambert. Rendering, I just did a software render with Shadows turned on, nothing special except I changed the shadow resolution from 512 to 1024. I was only doing it for the modeling aspect and not for the looks. Thanks for your comments anyway Jr. Who.

I had fun with it and will probably one day model the USS New Jersey with lots of details (I downloaded reference pics last night). If so, I'm sure I'll want to texture and light it properly.

Thanks again guys!

gster123 16-06-2007 07:42 PM

Looks great man, nice going.

I keep wanting to model a ship but never got round to it!!!

Perfecto 16-06-2007 10:09 PM

I havn't checked out very many ships yet, but the USS New Jersey has some incredible references. Top and Side line drawings and photos with lots of details all over the ship. It's a pretty cool looking battleship. I'm going to check out some destroyers since battleships aren't really used anymore. I'll PM you if I find anything cool.

THX1138 17-06-2007 09:13 PM

Hey perfecto, very nice work! Also, it would be cool to see you model the Battleship Yamato from cartoon series Star Blazers (circia 1979 ). Something I have yet to see anybody do as far as I am aware.

Perfecto 17-06-2007 09:43 PM

Cool, I'll check it out.

pbman 18-06-2007 02:30 PM

nice model

only crit is it is a bit pinched at the front
the extruding bit at the bottm is normally like a sphere rather than piched

Perfecto 18-06-2007 02:54 PM

Thanks pbman, and you're right about the front although I didn't think about the bottom needing to be more rounded so I'll have to keep that in mind when I do the next one.

Thanks again!