Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Materials & Textures (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Can texture maps be resized? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24591)

rickibarnes 11-01-2007 07:39 PM

Can texture maps be resized?

OK, so the situation is this: I have a polygon that I have put a brick texture map onto (it is a photo of a brick wall). My problem is that the bricks are too large.

I am a LightWave user who is trying to "upgrade" to using Maya. In LW I would simply resize the texture map until the bricks appeared to the desired scale. I would like to do the same thing in Maya but I can't see how it can be done. And so I am wondering if it can actually be done at all.

And if it can't, does anyone have any other suggestions as to how I can get a nicely-proportioned brick wall teture? (Please God don't say UV maps!)

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give. I am really struggling but at this stage am resisting the urge to run off back to the safety and familiarity of LW's arms for a good cry. :hug:

Xander-0 11-01-2007 09:23 PM

well, I think there's a couple tutorials floating around the sites, but any answers we can give you about a specific problem will depend on the information you can give us; especially depending on how you have your UV maps set up....
Keep in mind I'm working from maya 6.5, so things may be slightly different.
But there are options in the various texture nodes for scale/coverage/etc. (note that this may not work, depending on how the rest of the model is setup). Basically click on your model, and right click into "Materials -> Material attributes". Then, click on the little arrow to the right of the "color" label and slider (this assumes that you have the bricks already created - if not, just go ahead and create the file texture before this step). Next, the attribute window should switch to display two tabs - one is the file tab, which should have popped up on top. The other one, the 'place2Dtexture1' tab (assuming you haven't renamed it) is the one we want - click on it. Among all the options, there should be two boxes next to the label 'repeatUV' - these should be one by default. Change either one (or both) to something larger than one - the texture should repeat more times, thus making the bricks seem smaller.
Unfortunately, the problem with this method is that its effectively just messing with the way the program pulls the data from the texture file - its simply making the texture repeat multiple (or partial) times over the same UV space. So if you've messed around with the mapping a bit, this probably won't work. If you have a simple, flat wall, you should be fine... but other than that, you're most likely either going to have to tweak the uvs, or change the texture insidea an image editing program.

ehhhh.... does that help? or can you provide us with new data so you can be helped better?

rickibarnes 14-01-2007 04:29 AM

Yeah, that does help a bit, at least it resizes it anyway, which is what I was asking about. The texture is still looks a little wrong but I think that might be for a different reason.

I have not made a UV map for it, cause I was just trying to map a single texture onto a single polygon of a model. In LW, this is a perfectly easy and reasonable way of doing things, but I think in Maya maybe it's not.

So now I'm going to give making a UV map a go, even though I am scared of it! :eek:

Thanks for your help, I think it has given me a bit of an idea how to proceed from here :)

Xander-0 14-01-2007 05:39 AM

heh. glad to be of help.
about UV maps - they're not so bad, depending on how complicated your model is, and how 'clean' its been modeled. But yeah, check out the tutorials first. Creating the maps in the first place isn't so bad - its organizing them afterwards that can be a pain.