Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   low poly snowboarder (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28276)

anasasis 26-11-2007 04:49 AM

low poly snowboarder

1 Attachment(s)
hey guys this is my first go at a low poly character it just needs a bit more texturing done to it i worked off about 3 different tutorials to help me out and the models finished off on 958 polys so im pretty happy. Will probably finish texturing the head tonight so ill post that tomoz so feel free to add some crits

DJbLAZER 26-11-2007 06:25 AM

Looks pretty good, although the head looks enormeous.

26-11-2007 09:06 AM

ya... hes got a huge frikin noggin other than that sweet job man:beer:

gubar 26-11-2007 10:47 AM

Hi,

I like it, don' think the head is too big overall, just strangely proportioned - very large jaw and lower face.

Like the texturing,

gubar

starjsjswars 26-11-2007 03:12 PM

nice textures and lighting.

can we see a wire?:attn:

evil_milk 26-11-2007 04:12 PM

This guy has got the 'TV Head', all great actors do.

Seriously, its nice work but the head just looks rushed

anasasis 26-11-2007 05:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
cheers for that guys i textured the head last night but it does need a lot of work and it was pretty rushed so i think ill tackle it again today sometime. Heres the textured image yet the features are kinda large lol all the coments are greatly appreciated cheers guys.

starjsjswars: ill post up a wire later on today when i go back to tackling the head

anasasis 26-11-2007 05:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
wire frame view:

djknucklez1 26-11-2007 06:26 PM

hmmm...

One thing...the lines at the top of the arms are too close. Try to avoid this when you model it. An easy fix is to separate them and even them out fairly proportional to the rest.

anasasis 26-11-2007 07:17 PM

djknucklez1: so all in all how does it rank up eith ea game standards just a thought i know it has a fair way to go but feedback would be great i will incorporate evening the lines out on my next attempt i think this one has taken its course of teaching me my first low poly model so yeah it would be great to hear as much feedback as possible from someone who is in the industry thanks heaps for the comment though

anasasis 26-11-2007 07:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is a version of my snowboarder with the head fixed up a little i scaled it down and fixed up some of the prominant features on his face. I also moved the head down as i had it placed incorrectly at the start remembering that he has a really high collar on his jacket. c & c always welcome

mmoore5553 26-11-2007 07:41 PM

looks alot better ..good job ...

Mayaniac 26-11-2007 08:02 PM

Well, first thing i have to ask is.... Why are you taking huge fancy renders of a WIP? I mean it's your thing, but a simple view port screen grab would suffice. ;) .. plus it would save on the time it takes to load the thread.

About the model, Well the modeling is not to solid, there allot of geo that could be done without. For example ( i think this was mentioned earlier) there seems to be allot to cramped geo on top of the arm that you could collapse, it would clean up your mesh and also make editing, and animation easier.

The face is allot better in this latest image, though it still seems kinda strange. Maybe it's just the texture your using.

Also the hands could use a bit of extra attention, as well, the sleeves of his jacket seem to be shaped oddly, and also the seem to defy gravity slightly.

As for the textures, these are very well done and there are not any noticeable seams (that i have noticed.

All in all, pretty good, just pay extra attention to proportions, and Geometry.

Have Fun :beer:

djknucklez1 26-11-2007 08:57 PM

Yeah Man! you're doing awesome! As far as low poly count, you're doing great! Just needs a bit of clean up as I said before, easy stuff! Textures look great! now...I know a few people have already said this about your head. Try to keep it anatomically correct. As far as the eyes, nose, mouth etc. This will get better as time goes by, so I'm not worried about that. Also, I would like to take a closer look at the face and hands so I could give you some pointers on your topology. One final thought, try to avoid tri poly shapes. Keep your topology in quads. If you can't get rid of them, then hide them. For example behind the ear, bottom on the neck, armpit, or groin area. Other than that, keep it up!

anasasis 27-11-2007 01:28 AM

Mayaniac: cheers mate all of those hints ill take into consideration especially the sleeve i agree on that ill get to work on it straight away, i am going to leave the geometry at the moment which is at the to of the armpit only because i believe its like one of those past the point of no return situations yet that is true and i will concentrate on that on my next low poly character.
once again all tips greatly appreciated

djknucklez1: thanks for the reply also greatly appreciated the face does need a lot of work i havnt really gone anywhere near low poly heads before so its something i will do a lot more practice on, i will post a close up of the head and hands tonight some time, i do agree that the hands need a lot of work at the moment its just a procedural texture on them to simulate black gloves yet i will have to uv them and find a texture. The triangle will take a bit of work to get rid of especially in the face i think their are a fair few. but once again thaanks heaps for the feedback it is invaluable