Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   graphics card (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23332)

daffas 28-09-2006 01:55 AM

graphics card

im woundering are geforce graphics cards good???? or radeon????? im thinking about a geforec 7200 or one of those types in the 7000, are those the most up to date ones?

severinianthony 03-10-2006 03:58 AM

I can't speak for Radeon, but I have an Nvidia GeForce 7800 GT, and it kicks booty...

gster123 03-10-2006 05:22 AM

Have a look on CG talk, theres lots of threads on GForce cards there that might help you out with your decision.

I've got a Gforce 7900 GTX, its great but thats my opinion.

happymat27 03-10-2006 06:20 PM

I think that the rule of thumb is that G-Force cards are gaming cards, if you want a card to work properly with 3D applications you should be looking at workstation cards like the Nvidia Quadro series. I know that Radeon do a workstation series too but I know nothing about them.

Take it easy,

Mat.

gster123 03-10-2006 08:55 PM

Yeah Matt thets true, If you want to run a 3d app using a gaming card then its a bit of a gamble, as, especially with maya, you might get problems.

Having a good look around prior to getting my laptop it seemed that there was minimal/no problems with the new Gforce cards 9also it saved me quite a bit of money to boot, but like I said it can be a bit of a gamble

gaganjain 03-10-2006 08:59 PM

If u had money with u can upgrade now if u come short for money and u want card that for long then wait DX10 Card to be l anuch

daffas 05-10-2006 04:00 AM

cool thanks everyone. i think im going to go with radeon because my old 9200 worked with maya pretty good. i think im going to get the radeon x1300 256mb agp.

severinianthony 05-10-2006 04:43 AM

Interesting facts...

Is there such a card type that can alternate/change its performance between 3D applications and games?

Truth be told, I'm a gamer, and the 3D work I do is aimed towards gaming, and I'd abhor having to shut down my computer, open it up, swap out cards and start the thing up again just to switch between doing one/the other.

Not to mention it might get pretty hot (40-45 celsius...ouch!).

dragonfx 05-10-2006 04:51 AM

an ati 1900 XT 256mb seems sweet right now... id update to it if i had PCIe XD

About DX10> my old trusty 6800GT can run vista desktop and included stuff without a hiccup... in fact im posting from it right now... I wanna get my hands over a game/heavy3d app for vista to really test it tough... and drivers too... how i miss asus smart doctor to kill the default 4000rpm of the craphics card to something less noisy...

Dutch 05-10-2006 06:29 AM

I know I've got like 1 post total here but I'd thought I'd mention this in case no one else had.

I have a Radeon 9800 Pro in my system. It works fine with Maya except for image planes. When you setup an image plane and then begin working with it, if you zoom way in on it you will notice it skews with respect to any geometry in the scene. The workaround that I use is to create a plane with my reference image as it's texture. The plane does not skew.

I don't know if this is a problem with all ATI cards, but I thought you might want to be aware of it.

dragonfx 05-10-2006 01:38 PM

it might be the drivers, before the 6800 i had a 9800 all in one that died honorable thermal death at the age of two... just when the warranty expired, how nice... anyways the thing is it never gave me that trouble... things you could try include installing the newest drivers, reinstalling the older drivers that came with the card, you could also want to check the overlay settings of the driver or, as you did, just ignoring image planes and use a plane with the texture on it...

dragonfx 05-10-2006 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by severinianthony
Interesting facts...

Is there such a card type that can alternate/change its performance between 3D applications and games?

Truth be told, I'm a gamer, and the 3D work I do is aimed towards gaming, and I'd abhor having to shut down my computer, open it up, swap out cards and start the thing up again just to switch between doing one/the other.

Not to mention it might get pretty hot (40-45 celsius...ouch!).

lol my 6800 alternates between 50 to 90 celsius...
anyways the bundled asus smartdoctor can overcklock and adjust fan speeds automatically and/of following your precise instructions both for ati and nvidia shipsets... dunno what other brands will have in that line...

severinianthony 05-10-2006 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by dragonfx
lol my 6800 alternates between 50 to 90 celsius...
anyways the bundled asus smartdoctor can overcklock and adjust fan speeds automatically and/of following your precise instructions both for ati and nvidia shipsets... dunno what other brands will have in that line...

Ow...!

I've had my Nvidia GeForce 7800 GT for a while now, but it used to run at about 60-80 celsius...then I got a fan, and it's cooled my poor, overworked card down to about 40-45, like I said, but I think 40-45 celsius is still around 105-115 farenheit...!

gster123 05-10-2006 10:58 PM

My 7900 GTX Go runs at about 60 degrees, goes up to 70 when pushed. then again it is in a laptop

Jay 05-10-2006 11:45 PM

In 3d world magazine a couple of issues back they did a bench test on 3d apps with game cards, they actually worked better overall than the actual designated high end cards

Some food for thought....

Jay