Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   WIP condo, re-learning as i go (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30993)

Kalzenith 24-09-2008 02:49 AM

WIP condo, re-learning as i go

1 Attachment(s)
well, ive been working on this for a few days now and its going fairly well, but im having some issues, like textures not showing up on objects that have been beveled..

Kalzenith 24-09-2008 02:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
-

andrew_sorensen 24-09-2008 03:01 AM

i really like the lighting.

Gen 24-09-2008 01:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by Kalzenith
i have adobe after effect, but its not a program im familiar with, i havent used it much.. i was hoping for a solution right in maya.. but if i have to do it in post production i guess that works too..

it could be the wood textures, and i fixed a few of them, and as for emitting photons i cant say ive ever done that before : / i may need to look up a tutorial. though i have no directional lights in my scene, they are all ambient

i lowered the tile in the kitchen to cut down on tripping, and about the couches, youve *obviously* never been to ikea, they are all stiff as a board.. : P jk, youre right, i'll get to work on that... could you explain what you mean by non uniformly scaling the cabinet drawers? do you mean i should make them less regular and skew the vertexes a bit or something? as for the textures some of them are stand ins unfortunately, but thats because i seem to have bad luck making my own and i dont really know where to find high res ones. speaking of textures and beveling, i seem to be having a new problem, i beveled a number of edges, but the textures dont appear to show up on any surface that has been beveled, its gone on the countertop, the fridge, most of the oven, the coffee table and the cabinet doors, but the textures stayed on objects that havent been beveled, i dont know why, i tried re creating the textures and re applying them, but that didnt seem to help.

I'm posting my reply here instead of the newbie section.

You can blur reflections in Maya if you're using Mental Ray, there are blur settings under the Mental Ray section of any Maya material that has a reflectivity attribute or you can get familiar with the mia_material_x (I like that shader <3). Of course reflection blurring adds to render time.

What I meant about the cabinet was it seems like when you made the extrusion for the bevel on the small cabinet doors, you scaled it equally in xyz or you just scaled the larger door down in the y axis resulting in the smaller door looking squashed, the beveled face should be wider. Instead of scaling it down the y, you could have just grabbed the top vertices and pulled them down to avoid the squashed look, I'll post a pic.

Also, check the resource lounge here if you have a hard time finding textures. And about the textures not appearing on the beveled areas, there is new geometry now and those don't have their UVs mapped, try an automatic mapping and see.

Kalzenith 25-09-2008 02:55 AM

oh yeah hahaha, i completely forgot i did that to the cabinets.. i dont even know why i decided to simply scale it, im usually fairly good about that XD. also, i just found the mental ray reflection blur setting, i dont know why i didnt see that before.. im smart, lol. may i ask where i might be able to auto map a texture? i just find it odd that applying a new texture wouldnt account for the fact that there are new UVs

Gen 25-09-2008 02:36 PM

Not auto map textures, automatic uvs, its a projection method used in uv mapping, just like planar projections, cylindrical projections etc.

Kalzenith 25-09-2008 09:13 PM

ah haha ok that explains why i was a bit lost :P that worked beautifully, thanks