Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Revolve Scene (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7209)

Vectorman 01-08-2003 03:05 AM

Revolve Scene

1 Attachment(s)
Okay i needed a break from all my other projects so i did this today:

I made a pen, that to this point is all Surfaces>Revolve tool. There is around 10 different parts to it and its quite complex(yes i took apart the pen and held the different pieces up to the screen). Then i decided, before i strayed from the lovely revolve tool, to make some other things for a scene. Except for the walls, table, and floor, EVERYTHING in this scene is %100 revolve modeled.

If anyone could think of some other things to add to the scene that are rotationaly symmetrical, let me know and i'll add them.

Crits Welcome!

Witchy 01-08-2003 03:16 AM

You could always add a bottle to go with the glass. Or a carafe. And perhaps a candle holder.

The glass looks a bit faint at present. The pen is really nice.

Vectorman 01-08-2003 03:28 AM

Okay bottle is on the way good idea. Whats a "carafe"? There is a candle holder. And please expand a bit on the glass, i'd like to make it look a bit better. Tanx witchy.

Vectorman 01-08-2003 05:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
the bottle (yes i need to make the "champagne" a tad larger). Anyone know how to make glass a bit better?

jayport 01-08-2003 11:10 AM

:P

pretty cool.
Hmmm.. could you make a tutorial on that?

---------------------------------------------------------------- do not kick

Blinn 01-08-2003 02:27 PM

nice
i think you need some shadows in the scene to ground the objects, they appear to be floating right now.

Vectorman 01-08-2003 05:02 PM

Jayport- Gladly, this is one of the easiest toold to use, with the coolest results. Unfortuately it is only for things that are perfectly rotationally symetrical
Blinn- Um i'd love too, but what kind of light should i use for the shadows? There is a point light for the candle, but i wouldn't know how to use spots to mimic a point light.

Witchy 01-08-2003 06:42 PM

A carafe is just like a jug thing wine is decanted into. Perhaps a coffee cup or something. On the candle holder I meant something like a candlestick etc. I like the shape of your bottle.

The AW site used to have a good tut on glass but sadly it's one of the ones temporarily missing.

Vectorman 02-08-2003 02:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Create>CV Curve tool. Make a shape like this or like anything else that is rotationally symmetrical. Clicking 3 times on the same place will give you a hard corner.

Vectorman 02-08-2003 02:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay you don't have to do this, but if you want to after you make you're curve, you can add more points. One reason would be if you wanted to add more detail to the curve, and another would be if you see that you're curve might need more geometry so you don't have tessalation issues later.

Vectorman 02-08-2003 02:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Now do a "Surfaces>Revolve" from the modeling menu set. If you move you're new revolved surface away from the curve you can go back and reshape it. Right-click the curve, and select "Control Vertex" and the new surface will turn purple. I noticed that my base was WAY to big and made it much smaller. I also changed the shape of the cup part.

Vectorman 02-08-2003 02:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is what i got. Now go revolve something else!

Alan 02-08-2003 09:39 AM

all i would say about that glass is watch the thickness of it at the top. Cause you'd be cutting your lip if you tried to drink from that glass! ;)

Alan

BabyDuck 02-08-2003 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Pure_Morning
all i would say about that glass is watch the thickness of it at the top. Cause you'd be cutting your lip if you tried to drink from that glass! ;)

Alan

maybe that is the idea - might not be his glass, but his guests glass :p

ckyuk 02-08-2003 11:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
i don't know if you want to try it or not but i found the best glass is:

Blinn
Colour: Black
Transparency: White
Eccentricity: 0.1
Specular Roll Off: 1
Specular Colour: White
Turn on Refractions in the raytrace options and set the refractive index to 1.5