Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Dec/Jan - Noob - Blomkaal (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14591)

blomkaal 05-12-2004 10:14 PM

Dec/Jan - Noob - Blomkaal

1 Attachment(s)
Guess I have to put everything else on hold :)

Game Art... Well, I have to try it out sometime, so this seems to be a good a time as any :)

The char is Zeus in his teens, and I made him manga style because the FF series is IMO some of the greatest game art ever created (second only to Mike's works, of course :D )

Other than that, I think the scetch speaks for itself... And of course it isn't complete, I might add some things and make small changes as I go along... And yes, I am aware of the fact that he needs a much bigger sword :)

-Blomkaal

brentlydavis 05-12-2004 11:16 PM

Looks really cool Should be fun to see done

Good luck

blomkaal 06-12-2004 08:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok first few shots after a couple of hours of drawing ref's and some modelling. I'm currently at 1154 tris, and I still need to add hands, feet and head :(

Front view:

blomkaal 06-12-2004 08:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
3/4 view:

blomkaal 06-12-2004 08:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And a 3/4 wire:

blomkaal 07-12-2004 08:40 PM

Didn't get much done tonight, just got started on the hand, but I can't show screenshots, because when I paste into PS (using Print Screen) nothing happens! Anyone know why? It worked fine last night...

Anyways, hopefully I'll have the hands and feet ready by tomorrow night, and C&C's are of course most welcome, though I know there's not much to comment on yet...

PS: A few questions on normal mapping (if I have time for it):
1. When I create a normal map from a highpoly mesh, should that be tris as well? (I know it doesn't matter for this comp, but for game art in general)

2. When I make the color map, do I make it for the highpoly, lowpoly or both? If the normal map makes my lowpoly look like the highpoly, shouldn't the color map (and other maps?) be made for the highpoly? Just wondering...

EDIT: 3. I think I saw somewhere that normal maps cast shadows, if this is the case, is it then nessacery to paint shadows (armpits, muscle definitions and so on) on my color map?

Thanks

-Blomkaal

mtmckinley 07-12-2004 09:16 PM

when using normal maps, you don't really need to paint much in the way of lighting info.

blomkaal 08-12-2004 06:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Guess I'd better do a normal map then, I suck at painting! But then how about the color map? I'm just wondering, since the model will look like the highpoly, shouldn't the color map be made for the highpoly?

Finished the hands (for now)
EDIT: hands brought the tri count up to 1886... I probably have to remove some detail later to keep it below 3500, since I still need head and feet, and the sword...

Can anyone tell me how to render with wires? Cause Print Screen -> paste in PS doesn't seem to work for me right now (have absolutely NO idea why!)

-Blomkaal

EDIT: And why does some of the faces (like on the fingers) look odd... Kinda like they aren't attached to the rest of the model?

NextDesign 09-12-2004 09:21 PM

You dont need all that geometry in the hand. Just delete the fingers, and make it one slab. Then just make it look like fingers when you go in and texture.

mtmckinley 09-12-2004 09:33 PM

You can have individual fingers. Remember, you have a 7000 poly limit... or 3500. WIth either, you could have finger definition. Take a look at the example I posted in the rules thread.

Daandrumz 10-12-2004 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by blomkaal
Can anyone tell me how to render with wires? Cause Print Screen -> paste in PS doesn't seem to work for me right now (have absolutely NO idea why!)

You can try using vector rendering...there you can add edges. If it's just for the example of the model, I think that'll work.

RubberChicken 10-12-2004 05:44 PM

Nice work there mate, love the concept :)

blomkaal 10-12-2004 05:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Rubberdude :)

This is the first attempt at making his sword... I want it to have a shape that kinda resembles a lightning... Comments?

EDIT: It's at 380 tris...

blomkaal 10-12-2004 06:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Made a duplicate, added some edges and made at smooth proxy for the normal map... Might add some more details later, but I think it's done for now...

Found and removes some inside faces on the lowpoly model which brought it down to 340 tris...

blomkaal 10-12-2004 07:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Redid the hand and added feet, polycount at 1638 tris... If I've got some spare polys at the end I might make individual fingers, but I don't think I'm gonna do anything about the feet... They're done!