Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   ATI and maya (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34356)

ColdWave 17-08-2010 07:40 AM

ATI and maya

is ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5650 (HDMI) Good for maya .... I have very good offer for a laptop with that Card ?

Mayaniac 17-08-2010 02:34 PM

I wouldn't go anywhere near ATI if you want to use Maya. Maya generally runs bad with ATI. Radeons are gaming cards to begin with, so they're no built for running OpenGl very well. That said, a lot of people use gaming cards (mostly geforce, ATI really doesn't like Maya) and they have no issues.

And just to make the point about how bad ATI are with Maya, I recently purchased an ATI FirePro card from them- a workstation card specifically designed to handle OpenGL and 3D/CAD applications, and Maya was unusable on in.

So, to be honest, I would rather buy an Nvidia (or laptop with Nvidia) for £500 over the equivalent ATI (or laptop with ATI) for £200!!!

So, in short, no I don't think ATI are very good cards for running Maya.

gster123 17-08-2010 03:46 PM

Ive got to hold my hands up and say that I use a ATI in my PC at home and its pretty damm good to be honest, runs everything I can throw at it, then again I think that I'm the only person who does not have a problem!

I would generally recommend Gforces

tweetytunes 17-08-2010 07:40 PM

ATI are utter crap - Had one when I started using 3d in 2001 it was rubbish then - just got a new £1000 PC with a 1.5 gig ATI HD 5450 and its still SHIT.

Games run slow, Maya will not use reference images with a working alpha gain and the display become very unstable at times.

As soon as I have the money - going back to nvidia

mastone 17-08-2010 07:56 PM

It depends, if you use the laptop only when your on the road just buy it, if it is something you really gonna rely on each and everyday I wouldn't buy it.
Hardware wise all these cards are the same when it comes to drivers ATI screws up to much.

:beer:

ColdWave 17-08-2010 09:31 PM

Sure i'll not buy it ! I had an Nvidia 7600 go on my old laptop and it was gr8 no problems with it .. so i'll stay with Nvidia standart :beer:

halfloaf 18-08-2010 08:18 AM

Not that it's completely topic related, but on the Mac side it's the opposite way round, ATI has better OpenGL support while nvidia have rather rubbish drivers.

But yeah, nvidia do tend to have better high end driver support on their cards for Windows and Linux.

J

Ataraxy 19-08-2010 03:38 AM

no idea.

I use a nvidia quadro in my desktop and a ati v5200 in my workstation laptop.

I've had two issues, one that remains a constant for the however long i've had it.. <? 2 years?> the only issue I had with the ATI in my laptop was.... finding drivers I liked. and the only maya related issue ive ran into is when I use NURBS and goto add a Isoparm.. the redline stays after i move the isoparm to where i want to place it. so I end up with 5000 red lines of where the Isoparm has moved back and forth until i place it.

it certainly doesn't compare to your laptops video card in power but it does the trick.

hope this helps. better yet. I would recommend installing maya on the beast and having a go at it for like 20 minz or something of that nature. be sure to take your profect folders so you can open things faster and make sure image planes and other stuff like that appear.

oh.. btw the ATI V5200 is a workstation card.. not a gaming card.. so.. that probably matters.

good luck with your buy!

bullet1968 19-08-2010 07:36 AM

Hi Coldwave.....I know bugger all about PC's but I havent had a good time with Nvidia when gaming. I upgraded to a new laptop

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 8/19/2010, 15:30:07
Machine name: ACER-TRAVELMATE
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3
Language: English
System Manufacturer: Acer, inc.
System Model: TravelMate 7730G
BIOS: ZY2 v0.3636 3F36
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T9550 @ 2.66GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 3036MB RAM
Page File: 691MB used, 4228MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 9600M GT
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Display Memory: 512.0 MB
Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)

I havent had too many troubles with Maya YET. I am not advanced as most of the people here but not really any drama. It lags a bit if I have other stuff open and running..with high poly counts. I havent animated etc yet...I think it will probably die in the arse then..we shall see.

Good luck mate

cheers bullet

murambi 19-08-2010 07:01 PM

Oh no i highly recommend nvidia no no to ati shitty drivers and its sad that they have started to outsell nvidia