Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Alien Guy (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16423)

Jay 21-04-2005 06:00 PM

Alien Guy

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Guys

Well here we go again!! New mesh, new character. This is 1hours work on the head right now( I kid you not!!) The advantage of this guy is he'll have no ears just receptor/tentacles and horn things sticking out. But this ones a mean bastard!!

Update soon

_J

Pony 21-04-2005 08:51 PM

off to a good start again. 1 hour is great.

gohan1842 22-04-2005 08:02 PM

awsome nice geometry.

Jay 22-04-2005 08:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Guys

Thanks. I havent added a great deal of detail really at the moment as Im busy just blocking the characters head shape overall, as I would like to get this as close to the drawing as possible.

Heres a small update anyway

_J

vedic kings 23-04-2005 06:04 AM

Hey good work so far, nice and clean:)

dark-link 23-04-2005 06:56 AM

very nice so far. it reminds me of that character from star wars. i don't know what race it is but the guys have the same kind of head with this long beard and moustache. i think it was from star wars :rolleyes: .

Jay 23-04-2005 09:14 AM

Long Beard and moustache? Star Wars?Hmmm? I'll rattle my brain cell on that one. A beard and moustache in Star Wars is usually a Jedi or something.

I'll have a think anyway, this dude is modelled on a 'twist' of Nick Nolte from The Hulk- kinda craggy but nuts!!

_J

Jay 24-04-2005 04:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Dudes

Small Update, still lots to do!!

Enjoy

_J

Jay 26-04-2005 07:52 PM

Hey Guys
Latest update on this dude, tweak tweak tweak, cut!!
http://img169.echo.cx/img169/4916/newerdude67zl.jpg

Laters
_J

BMS 26-04-2005 08:30 PM

Man that's looking really good! Can't wait to see where you take this character.

Cheers
Paul

DanaScully 26-04-2005 08:46 PM

dude jango......you're the best. All of your work is clean and wonderful.
What frustrates me the most....is how you make it seem so......effortless (in the compliment kind of way of course)
...and although you are a guy.....you're definately worth looking up to :D
Hope you get the tutorials section on your site up soon :)

Jay 27-04-2005 07:26 AM

DanaScully: Im blushing:o but thank you all the same. As for effortless, again thank you, but there are days where I can pull my hair out but I think one of the keys is to think clearly and keep it simple in the way you work,as I find people get bogged down with the technicalities of it all and they miss the bigger picture, but also they try and work beyond their own capabilities when they dont even have the basics grasped.

I dont if you have seen other posts where people have asked about tutes before but Im a bit on the fence with those right now as thats why we have Simply Maya to do them so everyone can come and learn so I dont wanna take anything away these guys as they do a bang up job, and I dont want my butt kicked of the forums by the mods. You can go and register on the forum at my site if you want as theres some insights there to how things are done and various questions answered. I'm still working on some write ups to post there too on other bits and pieces on my work flow etc. So keep a sharp eye.

BMS:Thanks dude, yeah this guy is gonna be a bit different to what you have seen with my previous characters. Be patient hes getting there.

Regards to all
_J

Regards

Jay 27-04-2005 09:06 PM

Hey Guys

Changed my mind on the receptor thingsand gave him ears instead!!

http://img169.echo.cx/img169/3020/newerdude61qs.jpg

Enjoy
_J

Kyraal 27-04-2005 10:41 PM

I'm curious about your decision to put human ears on him after all - what made you do it? And was it a conscious decision to give them the proportions that of a normal human being (top of ears pretty much aligned with the eye-level, and earlobe with nose)?

I can't see anything "wrong" with the model itself - I'm not so well-versed in Maya yet that I pick up on those few misaligned vertices :)

But from a design-standpoint I think you've got the look down well, making it look human, yet alien enough to catch that extra interest.

I do think that effect would be stronger without the horns, though. Had you gone for an emphasised cartoony style the horns might have been necessary to show the alienness, but since this has a realistic feel to it.. well, I think I would try without the horns at this stage of modelling :)

Jay 28-04-2005 07:32 AM

Kyraal

Hey thanks for your thoughts.

Well the decision for the ears was basically he has to hear with something, but the original design for the 'hearing' didnt come across to well on looking at it for a few hours and I think it confused the issue as to what they were(receptors like and insect) But as you already answered yourself - that you need to catch the extra interest, which is basically something to relate to or it just becomes 'another' alien that just looks too weird.

As for misaligned verts, there are only the ones down the center seam right now for the modelling (one side is instanced so it will be gone by the end)

As for losing the horns, in a nutshell, no, sorry dude, no chance! They are part of the character. Although they are symetrical right now one of then is gonna get cut about half way. The character itself is going to be battle damaged all down one side, but you'll have to wait for the updates on that Im afraid

Later
_J