Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   The Low Poly Female Game Character (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29344)

Savnac 19-03-2008 07:33 PM

The Low Poly Female Game Character

This Message is for Michael Mckinely and others whom purchase this Tutorial-

So I just purchased the Tutorial, and I know it was without sound. My God this would have been great as for a great resource for creating Women characters.

It's said that there's more to come right, Ok so will some instructor out there see the importance of this tutorial and do one with sound, please.

There are things going on in this tutorial that I have no idea as of what the instructor is doing. His method is completely different then other instructors from this site, nit that it's bad or anything, but it's a different way of seeing how to build a female character.

Am I alone on this or can the forum please do one like this but with sound. There are tons of us new guys that would purchase it. Can this type thing be re-created but with sound? Michael - Please, Please Please!!!!!!!! do another one like this but with sound added. There is information that us new guys need to here as well as we see what's going on.

Thanks,

Savnac

Rhetoric Camel 19-03-2008 07:38 PM

I saw this video and think the Fantasy Female character is much better of a lesson for learning how to model a female. To make it a game character just keep the poly count down low

Savnac 19-03-2008 07:41 PM

Michael-

Is this you?

Savnac

Savnac 19-03-2008 08:03 PM

Ok-

Mike see the issue with the Fantasy Female is, her body stops after the dress is applied. See guys like myself want to model the body first then create the clothes borrowed from the body parts. This is the way I was told to model women t hen apply clothes on them.

With a tutorial like this, it gives us a different way of modeling. I think that we need to see the difference between one way of modeling verse the other way this way we the students or purchasers can make choices when faced with different types of models to produce.

I wish there was a tutorial that address the two Low and High res character Modeling. All in one to give us a well rounded view of what to do with our choices.

I think there are 2 to 3 different ways to model. [Box Modeling] - [Poly to Poly] and then there's this thing called [Free Form] style of modeling.

See if there were a instructor out there that understood how important something like this really is, my God! this would be something to invest money and time in.

As a new guy to all of this. I see so many examples from different people whom are really good and those whom are somewhat ok . But from a new guy stand point. It all looks good and from this view point, there's a ton of room to make mistakes and get use to them.

Why not consider doing something like this, but not split it up. Make it a part of one tutorial but within different chapters. See there's nothing out there like this. Some instructor from this site can be the first, and I tell yah, this will spread like wild fire. Because it will be a breed of it's own kind.

Of course one can say, "Hey there's this tutorial her and there's one there" but guess what, those types will be from two to three different people whom has a different spin on this type of learning and I tell yah, Us new guys will get confused really quick, then move on thinking that we got it, when we might not.

So my question here is, why has there never been a tutorial like this from site to site? Why not this one, why can't this site with the talented instructors do something different. This could be if yah really thought about it.

I have gone from site to site looking around everywhere, and I run across the same types of modeling techniques, but nothing like what I am describing here.

As I stated before, I am a new guy to all of this coming from a 2D world of drawing, and want to incorporate the 3D side to the mix. But saw a missing piece to the puzzle.

This type of tutorial would be awesome, it really would be.

Please think about what I am saying here before responding. Also this is just what I see missing.

Thanks,

Savnac:bow: :confused: :bow:

jali 19-03-2008 08:25 PM

sorry man i dont have a clue what you're on about, and f.y.i there are more then 2or 3 different ways of modelling, there are no right or wrong ways to model, just certain guide line that must be taken into consideration when modeling, e.g correct edge flow around the mouth and eyes ect,

i've seen people model in all kinds of ways and as long as the end result is good then thats all that matters

i know about 4 different ways of modeling:attn: i think it helps to know more then one way because there are going to be times when one way of modeling probably will not work so in instances like that you can try a diffrent style of modelling to get the job done

NeoStrider 19-03-2008 08:27 PM

you've gotta understand that there's a difference between finding a tutorial you like and following it, and requesting a custom tutorial just for you.

so far i've seen ya request tutorials for your version of maya, for your modeling preference, for your sound requirements, and though they DO tend to listen to opinions and advice for future tutorials, you're not really gonna get anywhere with all the requests you're making.

i'm not knockin on ya man, i just think you're a little demanding.

Rhetoric Camel 19-03-2008 08:50 PM

as long as they give you the basics you should be able to take it from there and use what you've learned to add more detail or do complete it the way you want it to look.

The only reason you'd need to model a character completely before adding clothes would be if you were going to use cloth for the clothing, or if you plan on changing the characters clothes, or if your character will be taking off the clothes.

mtmckinley 19-03-2008 09:51 PM

At the time, I really thought more people would have liked that demo (it's not really a tutorial so much) as when *I* was learning, I learned the most from studying time-lapse videos and studying mesh flows. I dont learn a thing from some guy blathering on. Just *show* me. Y'know?

However, obviously I'm in the minority on that. I do plan on doing a new tutorial soon, and yes, there will be sound. :)

As for making a game character with clothing, I personally wouldn't take the time to make the body if it was never going to be seen.

Savnac 19-03-2008 11:09 PM

Ok-

I did not mean to be demanding at all. As a new guy too all of this, I saw something that was missing from tutorials out there. Although I hear and agree with most of what you guys are saying. My point is, I am new to modeling and I see a lot of confusing things for sale on different sites out there.

I do not mean to come across like I am the only one that is important, no not at all. I see something that would benefit all of us whom want to know the differences is all. There are new guys out there that you do not know that wish that they could find something like this.

I myself did a lot of research believe me before I found SimplyMaya, and it's what I saw from the others, something missing. The first thing that I said too myself was, I need to get back into Maya. The second thing that entered my mind was how do they model things like simple game characters to highly complicated images like Beowulf, and Golum. So I did some searching around and I saw different ways of going about this.

As I sat and wondered I said to myself "why is there not tutorial out there that would explain the difference between Low Poly modeling to High Res modeling. I think from a new guy stand point, looking into 3D modeling is very valid. What if one of the instructors get what I am saying. What if what your saying is wrong in regards to me or anyone else out there that's wondered about this very thing but did not ask.

There are guys and gals out there that's got it, but there's also those whom ask or think certain things such as this topic. Just because it's a different on does not make me a demanding guy, I am a customer that found this site and like what I see is all but also wanted to ask if the instructors would consider doing one like what I am asking for. What is so wrong with asking for something as a student too 3D that I feel could possibly benefit the library.

No insult to what's there. I just purchase a ton of the content already, but felt that something was missing, is all. Please do not take my request as something that might challenge ones way of thinking, it might just be of some help to all of us. After all like some of you said there are tons of ways to model, but from a new guys point of view, it's just a request, it's not meant to be a demand at all.

Please forgive me if I came off that way. But there are things out there that feels the same, meaning modeling tutorials, not that they are bad, just feel the same in some way.

With something like what I mention, would offer a different view or something to consider before starting to model, so that when going about it, one would have a good chance at making the right choices for whatever task. I think that this is a valid point. Yah see you have to step outside of what you know and do not assume anything when it comes to a new person to 3D. 3D alone is challenging, but if you can just go back to when you all first started out and think about how you went about asking for help, when it was there. Where you afraid to ask such silly things, within fear of sounding dumb or did you just ask because something about the course seemed missing and you spoke out, for advice.

Please go back to when you guys were brand new to modeling and be honest about some of y our confusions, and I bet you that some of you will remember, some small problem that you had but did not know how to ask the question or what ever the case might be.

Again please keep in mind that I mean no harm fro asking for such tutorial. Maybe, like I said, an instructor from this site, just might get what I am saying and consider it, just maybe.

Thanks, for all of you guys advice, and again I just purchase 12 tutorials from here and so far I am truly happy, but I would think that the instructors would be open to our opinions, do not block me out- just go back when you first started out and did not know a thing about modeling is all I ask, and also keep an open mind,, please.

Thanks,

Savnac

:attn: :attn:

Savnac 19-03-2008 11:20 PM

MtMckenley-

I mention that about the clothes because I read somewhere that it's best to model out the body of a character and then borrow from it's parts to make clothes. To me it made sense.

I work in the professional industry drawing 2D cartoons and it's kinda like construction. When you draw a character, you must draw the construction first the apply the details of clothes costumes and so on to make it complete.

So when I read that about the modeling process, it made sense too me for some reason. But when I saw this modeler do it,, it really made sense "although you may never see the other parts of the body" as he stated, You will need this foundation for clarity and volume, is what he wrote.

So that why I mentioned that. not to change your way of modeling, it just made sense is all but I am open to other ways as well. I want to have an open mind about things and consider most possibilities to make sure that I have a good foundation with the characters that I plan on modeling.

Again I am open to other ways as I saw through most of the tutorials that I just purchased the other day.

Thanks,

Savnac:bow:

Savnac 19-03-2008 11:27 PM

Jali-

What if there was one tutorial that explained the differences. That gave a general foundation to the approach to modeling in different ways, so that we or whom ever that was interested in this would have a good idea as of what to think about when going into a modeling session.

This is what I meant, is all, sorry for the confusion, but there are others like me out there that wonders about the very same thing, you just have not met them yet.

Savnac

Savnac 19-03-2008 11:32 PM

NeoStrider-

This was not a custom request on my part, it was just a customer student wondering about the possibilities of the future is all, please have an open mind, my and others opinion should count to.

What if, just what if, I may have a point,,,, in some small way, then what would you say, but again,,, sorry if I came off like the way you took what I said, the wrong way.

I am here to learn and as a student, customer please be fair to my thoughts and not knock them down is all I ask.

Thanks for your post, seriously

Savnac

NeoStrider 19-03-2008 11:35 PM

most people new to 3D have to start somewhere. the majority of tutorials out there deal with poly modeling or sub-d modeling, and a few deal with nurbs modeling but usually only to convert to another method later on...

depending on how you started learning (video tuts, text tuts, books, classes, etc.) you'll experience most of these different methods.

i would highly recommend the autodesk maya fundamentals book. this book briefly touches upon each different method of modeling, animation techniques, particles, etc. it's a good all-around tool to get familiar with maya's capabilities without getting too complex straight away.

here is the link.

Savnac 19-03-2008 11:48 PM

Rhetoric Camel-

I get what your saying about the basics, but what if you where a person whom got tutorials from here and there and the basics of what there methods of teaching were all different, and it completely confused you all together, but they all said that it's the basics.

From a new guys stand point, all we want,,, is a direction, from a really good guide that explains the ends and outs about the differences between the different styles of modeling, be it move or game environment. Some tutorial instructors may mention it but they do not go into showing the examples.

I think that, people could benefit from something like this. What if an instructor did do something like this and you or whom ever found out that they were going about it all the wrong way, that there was a better way to execute the process, what if, now this does not mean that you or anyone else way is wrong, but what if something like this was available, just out of curiosity people would buy this, just because.

Too your second point. What if you wanted this character versatile so that you could maybe use it again fro changing the costumes out. something like this would be great to have a manikin like model that you could swap wardrobe from time to time, think about it it would save time in the long run.

I think like this because of the line of work that I do in 2D, however I think that others would benefit from this as well, just maybe.

Thanks,

Savnac:beer:

Savnac 19-03-2008 11:59 PM

NeoStrider-

See this is my point, it's a book, and I have that book on my shelf here. I started reading it and all I keep running into was text after text. until I found the DVD version of learning. Believe it or not this way of teaching has taught on and it sells. So what I am saying maybe someone like an instructor could take this on. I bet you one thing. people will buy it, not as much as the fundamentals, but what I describe as a tutorial.

The differences between Movie Film Characters and Game Characters, and show us what are the benefit to the two. And also include the different types of methods to model in.

Again there are tutorials out there were the instructor will mention it slightly, but fail to show us in an example. So you see there's room for something like this, it's always been there, why not this site, maybe this site can set that bar up really high in this regards, now please keep in-mind that this site in my opinion is already the coolest that I have found so far but, as I said before, It's just my opion on what if there was such a tutorial out there, what if.

I bet you would get it out of curiosity just to make sure that what ever way you chose to model is on point or not. Or you might just get it to maybe see another way of approaching this thought before starting, just a thought.

NeoStrider, thanks fro the mention of the book,,

Savnac:bow: