Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Technical Issues (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   attaching a shape to a live surface (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35342)

bullet1968 24-03-2011 01:36 PM

attaching a shape to a live surface

Ok this is probably a stupid question, I ahve discusse this with ct before...I want to create a shape....whatever the shape is moot, create a curve on a live surface...attach that shap to the curve..then 'pull' the shape along the curve with it sticking to the surface. Throw vege's not rocks..I need the food not the bruising. LOL

Cheers bullet

daverave 24-03-2011 02:49 PM

Make the curve a motion path would not that work bullet.........dave

bullet1968 24-03-2011 03:17 PM

I tried that and didnt work...I know I did someting similar when I was fooling around with the cliff faces for chirone...when I made a surface and then a curve...I could 'pull' the curve along the surface and it would stick with it...if you get my drift..I will try again tomorrow and try and remember what I did...thanks dave

gster123 24-03-2011 03:28 PM

Hi Ant,

Are you sure when you did it last time you didnt loft a surface between curves? If you do this with history on then when you modify the curve the surface moves. Might be what you had previously.

Steve

G-Man 24-03-2011 05:25 PM

There is a geometry constraint that allows you to constrain an object to surface that is selected...Example: Rough ground, and you want say, tires, or treads to follow the ground, you use this constraint to make the geometry follow the ground plane....

G-man

bullet1968 25-03-2011 03:40 AM

Well this didnt come up in my email!! sorry steve and LOZ....noe steve I had already created the cliff face...then a curve on the surface..and by accident I selected the curve and 'dragged' it acroos the surface..LOL so it was a suprise..hhhmmmmm

Ok LOZ I will try that too....am I getting across the right way??

cheers bullet

gster123 25-03-2011 07:59 AM

Of course G-man, forgot about the geo constrint! Good call!

bullet1968 25-03-2011 08:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I worked it out what I had done steve...with NURBS only..I created a surface then the curve...then you can drag the curve all ove the surface and change its position but it will stick to the surface. BUT now I have chirones problem....when I attach a shape and extrude it changes the rotation of the object and actually closes back on itself....so I will have to speak to G....thanks steve

cheers bullet

EDIT: see attached guys

bullet1968 25-03-2011 01:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think I got it steve and LOZ

G-Man 25-03-2011 08:48 PM

@Gster : Thanks steve :)

@Ant...Good call mate...what did you end up doing anyway to get the final result?... you mentioned so many things you did that i couldn't tell for sure which one you settled on..
All in all, good result.

G-man