Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   trangles >>> quads... (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32481)

iamcreasy 23-05-2009 05:24 AM

trangles >>> quads...

1 Attachment(s)
I have a obj model.Now i need to import it in maya and add detail and to create normal map.

But the thing this model is created in max and when i open it's obj format in maya then the model is triangulated.So the model looks very messy.When i try to add bevel the edges then i get unexpected result.

SO, i wnt to convert this mode's triangular formation to quads.I have tried the Mesh > quadrungulate.It does not work.But i need quads for smooth and better workflow.

The model is attached.So wht can i do to have the model in quads formation????

One more thing, if there is anyway to have the object directly in quads frm 3ds max.Like using the fbx file format.I tried it in blender but the triangles remains.So any specific option or file format that can preserve the model in quad???

harry98941 23-05-2009 05:51 AM

Layout the Uvs For the Magazine in Max And Then Export the Obj to Maya . try it................

iamcreasy 23-05-2009 07:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
hmm...when converting to FBX(frm max) i turned off the "Split per-vertex Normals".

Then when i imported the fbx to maya.It was still triangle.But now when i Mesh > quadrangulated the object most of it turned into quad!!!But still not all of them(file attached).

Can anyone give my any explanation? or any better pipeline to do this?

Cause there is lots of triangles still needed to be manually converted to quads!...quadrangulate is not working more then once.What can i do??

in the file.zip...both max and quad converted mb file is attached!

EVEN i tried DXF conversion.But it shows me the same result.Some of the model still remains in tries.

mastone 23-05-2009 09:32 AM

The model itself probably has bad topology, (NGons which most of the time result in a quad and a triangle) if i have time i will take a look at your model

ColdWave 23-05-2009 10:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is your model quadrated. I fix some edges now the loops seems to be fixed :) If i missed something i'm sorry :p

pipeline : I've open the 1st model you attach.
The problem was that when you export you set to export triangulated mesh, then i simply go into maya and select the object go into the mesh menu and hit convert to quads ( i think that was the name not sure ). After that i cleaned some of the edges and here you go :)

iamcreasy 24-05-2009 09:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If u have opened the first MB file attached to the first post then the mesh>quad were not suppose to work!

BUT I HAVE FOUND A WAY TO MAKE IT WORK VERY
EFFICIENTLY!

switching off the "Split per-vertex Normals" while exporting to FBX.Then after exporting maya u have to CLEANUP the model(i did it with the default settings).Then after deleting history i hit the mesh>quad.............I WORKED AS I WANTED!!

as mastone said some weird part remains where n-gons is present.But before the cleanup and deleting history the actuals quads(in MAX) were not successfully converted to quads is maya. :)

u can have a look of the model attached.(this was done without any manual effort.Where only four corners requires modification.Because they were 6 side in MAX).All the other were perfectly converted to QUADS!