Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Body model (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34947)

daverave 10-01-2011 09:15 PM

Body model

2 Attachment(s)
Started doodling ended up with this, not used any referances yet, just a rest from hard edge modelling, any crits welcome...........dave

Edit added a head

daverave 12-01-2011 11:05 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Just modelled a feet

daverave 12-01-2011 08:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
More work on the feet now attached

honestdom 12-01-2011 10:45 PM

hey man, the torso looks pretty odd to me. you should really always have a look at some reference.

daverave 12-01-2011 11:26 PM

You are quite wright honestdom I will get some referances, Im just trying to see how my minds eye see it first, should give me a chance to see how musle groups compair to mine........dave

bullet1968 13-01-2011 03:37 AM

looks ok dave! yeh I think maybe the quads are a little short?

cheers bullet

Nilla 13-01-2011 05:26 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Hey Dave,

The proportions work pretty well but as that's already becoming a pretty detailed model I agree with the refs. Look at the abs especially, with that kind of muscle definition your ribs would not be that prominent also they occur higher up. I added some refs for how these muscles run anatomy wise and also what kind of result you'd get on a beef jerky like this, comes with absence of brain a lot of the time I've noticed. In CG people love to add exaggerated muscle to their sculpts, it fails a lot of the time because they don't use correct anatomy drawing up the main muscle groups before modeling really helps here. Personally I prefer models that follow the final image, I think it helps add realism to a model as pumping your body to that extent is not natural.

daverave 13-01-2011 06:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Bullet, Miss Nova for the referances, a little update..........dave

Nilla 14-01-2011 02:26 AM

7 Attachment(s)
That looks a million times better, really well adjusted. Since you're on a roll I'll mention the next area that looks off, which is the knee. I'm sorry for nagging anatomy on you but this would be important in a realistic model as it defines the bend itself and how the joint deforms. You have one bone of the thigh which is femur and it connects with tibia and fibula in the lower leg, as a modeler I don't think you need to worry about fibula as it's not weight bearing it just holds muscles but tibia is. This bone is covered by patella, the knee cap, which is the defined structure you'll see on a human leg, if you stand up on a floor and flex your leg you'll see how it moves upwards while the actual knee joint stays put. You need to get less definition on this bone as it's tied by ligaments and blends.

bullet1968 14-01-2011 04:19 AM

Wow Miss_Nova! schools in! hope you brought lunch dave?

cheers bullet

Nilla 14-01-2011 05:05 AM

Haha sorry for the lecture I'm damaged from being forced to learn anatomy in med school and now I think everyone under the sky should suffer as much as I did:) Nah seriously I belong to those people who believe it's difficult to draw, model or animate without anatomy but I'll be quiet now. Apart from knees and abs I don't have much to say, looks good so far.

murambi 14-01-2011 09:06 PM

Quote:

Haha sorry for the lecture I'm damaged from being forced to learn anatomy in med school
I dropped out after the first semester :) and i never looked back

Hey dave you really should model using image planes it will make your life much easier

daverave 14-01-2011 10:08 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Yes murambi you should use a image plain when you start a project but I started this when I was doodling. Thanks Bullet. Nag me as much as you like Miss Nova I am finding your help most useful.............dave

daverave 15-01-2011 11:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I dont like hands...........dave

Nilla 15-01-2011 11:23 PM

8 Attachment(s)
I'll add some more refs for you, hands and feet are very similar in structure and both are difficult to draw so it's not strange if you'd struggle I think if I was gonna model a character he's be wearing shoes and boxing gloves;)

Structure of the foot goes like this: tibia and fibula meet tarsal bones to form the ankle joint. The bony protrusions sticking out on both sides are their condyles. The only visible tarsal bone is the calcaneus which forms the arch of the heel, these then meet the metatarsals that make up the main part of the bone structure of the foot. Look at how the phalanx meet the metacarpals and flex your own toes to determine how many phalanx make up each joint. I think your foot looks pretty good, but you have a bend in the joints that goes the wrongs way and breaks the arch of the upper foot. One thing you should try to do before modeling these structures is draw them up so you understand them, try just making some line drawings of the arches in different poses.

Structure of the hand: radius and ulna meet the carpal bones to form the wrist joint, and then continues with metacarpals and phalanges so the same as above, the bony condyles are visible. I remember I was very surprised that the metacarpals made up most of the hand, it's difficult to feel on yourself because it's reinforced by ligaments and muscle but if you do a spread and bend the fingers up you'll see it. If you flex your hand you'll see how the metacarpals end by the knuckles and you then have two phalanges for the thumb, three for the others. Also hold around a finger and slide along and you'll feel the bones get larger where they come together to form joints.

If you get the metacarpals you'll also understand the shape of the hand, try drawing the structures and add some wrinkles on skin for phalanx joints, knuckles where the metacarpals end and define the metacarpal bone that leads to the thumb, also the tendons that run on the upper side of the metacarpals can show slightly.