Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Technical Issues (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   having normals problems (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24114)

bruce dwyer 07-12-2006 11:31 AM

having normals problems

1 Attachment(s)
I am still working on this "edge loops" concept but i seem to be having troubles ( i think its that i have got some of the normals backwards or something) is there a way i can figure out which ones are the offending ones and flip them, or something
PLEASE HELP:alien:

gster123 07-12-2006 11:51 AM

Think you can go to polygons->Normals set to face

bruce dwyer 07-12-2006 12:06 PM

thanks for reply gster123

1 Attachment(s)
that seems to make the spots go away on the smoothed modle but seems not to do anything to the unsmoothed modle and when smoothed to see just how it went reveals that nothing happened the modle still come thru with spots (which can then be smoothed but ) i am only smoothing at this stage to see where my model is going i dont want that level of detail it would be hell to model

gster123 07-12-2006 12:19 PM

Could be the softness of the normals, try making them all hard.

enhzflep 07-12-2006 01:25 PM

Bruce, I've just been playing around with a mesh to see if I could replicate the effect displayed in your images. I discovered that when I selected a vertex and then went to Polygons->Normals->SetVertexNormal[] I could recreate the problem. Simply by choosing an arbitrary value.

To fix, I selected Polygons->Normals->VertexEditTool simply manipulating until it conformed to the shape of the topography and was a rough average of those vertices surrounding it.

Simon.

bruce dwyer 09-12-2006 06:19 AM

thanks again for replies

well i'll have to give those two a try and get back to you guys it seems to go away after i set to face but later on they will come back again i have noticed that after i merge vertices (although not all just some) i will have a model full of black squares. I would like to know what i might have done to start this mess ... (Edge loops are hard ehough arent they? ... although i think i know where i want them to go, just figureing out the geometry )

bruce dwyer 10-12-2006 08:38 PM

just wanted to say thanks

yeh thanks heaps gster123 for the tip about soft normals while i dont think it was the problem here it is a far better way for me to smooth the model it stays closer to what i am working with instead of using poly smooth or subdiv' which both change the model in their own ways i am now using it with my Diana model it is working a treat so thanks ... i have not as yet tryed the vertex edit tool thing yet enhzflep as i got obcessed with, the newly discovered, capacity to redraw geometry (very exciting ) its allways so much easier when you know how