Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Gster123 - Summer Challenge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26583)

gster123 13-06-2007 09:07 PM

Gster123 - Summer Challenge

Well i'm in.

Think i'm going to do a Pirate, kinda like one of Davey Jones's crew as it should be a challenge! I'll just be doing a bust, rarther than the whole model (unless I have lots of time left over.)

I'm gonna freefrom model it adding bits etc as I go along, ive got a bit of an idea that i'm aiming for but other than that its just down to whatever I can think of.

I'll make a bease mesh in maya, UV it, then take it into Zbrush to get the main shape etc, then add the details to it, take it back into maya and render it from there.

gster123 14-06-2007 12:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Made a base mesh and imported it into Zbrush for a bit of a sculpt, the things on his neck are gills, need to think of what mutation to add to his face!

starjsjswars 14-06-2007 09:33 AM

Nice!

great start I can't wait to see the rest of your work.

:D

THX1138 15-06-2007 01:03 PM

I agree, very nice work!

gster123 16-06-2007 02:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cheers Guys

bit of an update, added a hat and given him a little tweek and started to get a bit more definition.

s2-speedy 17-06-2007 05:20 PM

this looks awesome mate. cant wait to see the final image. hope u finish.

THX1138 17-06-2007 08:42 PM

Forgot to ask if your going to use any SSS on the fishy pirate?

gster123 17-06-2007 09:01 PM

Cheers guys.

THX - Yarr, think that i'll give it a go! Need to make a nice sorta slimey fishey sorta texture for his skin.

I'm thinking of giving him a starfish on the side of his face, some barnicels, etc etc, just thinking of modeling them sepperatly then just "placing" them in the right places, that way I can texture them sepperatly and hopefully have more control over the final look

gster123 18-06-2007 11:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Had a bit of a play about with a sphere to get some ideas for the skin texture, what do you guys think?

Its been alpahed in Z brush to create the bumps, then coloured, bit of a spec map in photoshop then ive appled a SSS shader to it to get a some nice variations in the colour.

I'll probably mess with the colour as its not really to my liking, need to finish off the model really before making any proper decisions on the colours etc etc.

Any comments or Crits appreciated.

pbman 18-06-2007 02:28 PM

nice model
- cheek is a bit bony for me

i agree that colour isnt great but the texture is nice however it may not look soo good all over - some times i find that textures(bump/detail) is a bit much when it is totally covered

gster123 18-06-2007 04:38 PM

It wont be such a larege bump for the model, i'll judge the scale when I texture it in Zbrush, think that i'll make the skin colour more grey/blue to be honest similar to shark skin, I might even very the skin pattern colour to go from the above to a more smooth skin, depending how I feel when I get to it.

18-06-2007 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by gster123
It wont be such a larege bump for the model, i'll judge the scale when I texture it in Zbrush, think that i'll make the skin colour more grey/blue to be honest similar to shark skin, I might even very the skin pattern colour to go from the above to a more smooth skin, depending how I feel when I get to it.
Sounds cool, that blueish color would look good!
:beer:

gster123 18-06-2007 06:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Had a tweek with the colour map in PS to get an idea as well as adjusted the spec map to get abouts what I want,

Its more closer to the effect that i'm after, Just find adjusting it on a sphere lit with a basic 3 point set up gives me a decent ball park for the final shader's settings, especially if theres lots to tweek, like using the SSS with a mix 20 shader too.

What do you guys think??

THX1138 18-06-2007 06:56 PM

Basic fish skin is naturally pretty smooth, with just a hint of bump. Now Im not talking a scally fish, but reffering to cat fish, shark and other fish of the like. I reccomend looking at a few shark skin textures for refference, perhaps mabe use it as your texture.

gster123 18-06-2007 07:03 PM

Cheers mate, was gonna have a look into various fishey animals skins. Also been looking into the POTC Dead mans Chest movie to have a look at the looks of them. I kinda like a bit of the bump as it, to me goves a bit of a decomposing/rotting in water sort of look, i'll probably look at some ref then change my mind completly!!