Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Apache_Tut (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28128)

james_s 09-11-2007 10:55 PM

Apache_Tut

1 Attachment(s)
Anyone who can help with my Apache Tut problem??? When I move the verts the smooth mesh doesn't update anymore. I can get it to work again by deleting the smooth mesh and rebuilding the Proxy but I can't figure out what's "unlinking" the two in the first place.

:headbang:

mastone 09-11-2007 11:32 PM

You probably deleted history:beer:

james_s 09-11-2007 11:37 PM

Mmmmm.... I'll bet you're right.

Now, if I could just delete that bit of my history when I deleted the model history I wouldn't have to rebuild the blasted smooth/proxy thing again!!!

Thanks for the help.

:bow:

AikoWorld 09-11-2007 11:38 PM

jup i think that is what happend, just create another smoothed proxy. and set the transparent slider to black

starjsjswars 10-11-2007 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mastone
You probably deleted history:beer:
rofl, i love how u use the bearchug with that.

james_s 10-11-2007 05:45 PM

I figured out what happened. When I built my "Delete by Type: History" Shelf Button, I accidentally made a "Delete ALL by Type: History" button.

Ooooooops.

:shakehead

james_s 11-11-2007 06:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm having a new proxy problem. The engine cowling proxy mesh looks correct, according to the Tutorial, but the smoothed mesh is coming apart. I've tried rebuilding the part several times without success.

Please HELP!

Thanks.

:headbang:

james_s 11-11-2007 07:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I found a few unmerged verts in the extrude and merged them. I don't understand why they weren't merged correctly during the extrude process. Anyway, here's what it looks like now. Still need help...
:confused:

james_s 11-11-2007 07:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I still found a few more verts that weren't merged.

I don't understand where they came from, since all I used was the extrude face and I thought it was supposed to make "correct" geometry.

Anyway, the smooth mesh is no longer "coming apart" but I'm still getting rounding/grooves where there shouldn't be any. How do I fix this?

:confused:

james_s 11-11-2007 08:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

So I didn't have the "Keep Faces Together" box checked.

With any luck, I've learned something from this experience. I spent 3 hours working on this problem in an airport yesterday and just over two hours today.

I bet I don't make that mistake again (for a while)...

leonlabyk 11-11-2007 10:26 PM

Remember making that same mistake myself, took me ages to work out what was causing the problem. Looks like I found your problem when you had already solved it though.

Keep up the good work on the Apache.

james_s 12-11-2007 12:13 AM

Lesson 8 down!

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I made it through Lesson 8 finally! That problem with the "Keep Faces Together" button popped up again and I knew right where to go this time. Experience is priceless...

Anyway, here's my model thus far...

:attn:

james_s 13-11-2007 01:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Made it through Lesson 12.

I'm taking a break.

:zzz:

Snipes-nl 13-11-2007 03:34 PM

is that tube thats sticking out of the engine supposed to come out that far?

looks different here

james_s 13-11-2007 04:43 PM

Snipes -- thanks for the reference pic! I have just been following the tutorial and hadn't checked out the model vs. real-life yet. I'm still in the stages of trying to learn the modeling process itself and have been far more concerned about "how" to make the model than what it actually looks like.

Now that I'm far enough along to feel like I could actually have a model of a helicopter someday (after I finish the next 20 tutorial sessions) I can see why I might want to try and get it at least "mostly right".

You are absolutely correct about the tube and I'll be sure to get it fixed.

Thanks for the input. This is a great site because it's obvious that folks like you take an interest in the success of us noobs.

:beer: