Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lighting & Rendering (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Rendering dirty metal in Mental Ray (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22503)

BRUTICUS 27-07-2006 09:15 PM

Rendering dirty metal in Mental Ray

anyone got some good tutorials for this? Or know of a shader? I'd love to do this procedurally too. I'm just finding it hard to find one place to learn all the right ingredients for making a great dirty hardsurface metal.

Anyone help would be appreciated

Thanks

esion 28-07-2006 01:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Is this kinda what you wanted? I tossed this together in like 20 minutes...I could have made it look dirtier if I had a muddy type .tif file, I could have made one but I got lazy...

I did this using a layered textured phong. The layers were a brushed aluminum, a scratched layer, and a slash layer. I then added a plane, and an image based lighting scheme with a HDRI. Just rendered it out with MR. I can make a tutorial on how I did this if you want.

esion 28-07-2006 01:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
All righty...just had to add shadows because it wasnt looking right :)

esion 28-07-2006 03:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
:) because I cant leave well enough alone...I added a bump map and a more dirty layer in the texture...better?

esion 28-07-2006 04:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
HAHA, thanks for giving me something to do tonight...ive been having fun. I could do a lot more to this, but its late and I need to go to bed, but its just a DGSmaterial on the shaft part, and the rusted phong made earlier on ends.

BRUTICUS 28-07-2006 12:18 PM

thanks man! the bottom one is getting a lot closer to what I want. It seems pretty hard to get rid of that overall spec, glossy look with Maya.... I just want it dirty and dull looking, id love a procedural texture if it was possible...can you do that with Mental Ray? And use a black and white map to paint the parts where one is visible and the other isn't?

esion 28-07-2006 02:25 PM

I am sure you could...and I could have/will fix my texture later so that there are only spots of dirt on it. As for taking away the specularity and glossiness of materials in MR, just decrease the specularity, and increase the diffuse, even add a bump if you need to.

Check out this tutorial, it might help ya out.

http://www.digitalproducer.com/2003/...stex031125.htm

BRUTICUS 28-07-2006 07:54 PM

hahaha i figured out how to create a blinn about 5 years ago, but I appreciate your time in making those renders above!

esion 31-07-2006 12:42 AM

Sorry just got back from my trip...

Umm, did you check out the other 5 pages of that tutorial? LOL it explains what you want to do...

BRUTICUS 01-08-2006 03:08 PM

ok i dont know what im missing but the tutorial i saw shows you how to make a shader for a glazed donut?

NeoStrider 01-08-2006 08:48 PM

i got a donut as well by following that link, but i think the purpose of sending his you there wasn't to help you make donuts but to show you what tools and methods you could use in order to create your own dirty metal shader

esion 01-08-2006 08:55 PM

Yes, it is a donut tutorial...but you were saying you didnt want a dirty metal, but a metal with dirt on it...hence following that tutorial you could make a metail like I showed you, then add a checker texture for the dirt where you want it...

I guess whenever I do a tutorial I always just learn the steps and then change it all to make something that I need...it was just an example to get you on your way. No need to laugh at me taking time to help you solve your problems.

NeoStrider 01-08-2006 09:25 PM

i just don't think he could correlate the tutorial you sent with his own problem... they could be apples and oranges (metal with dirt vs fried cake) but they're still both considered fruit.

BRUTICUS 02-08-2006 12:38 AM

no I wasnt laughing at you at all. I have built and designed a lot of shaders over the years but metals I have created have never been to the quality level I have wanted and I have come here to get more insight. All input is appreciated I just can't see me getting what I need from that particular tutorial. I would love a tutorial that created a realistic metal. Dirt, no dirt or otherwise actually.

esion 02-08-2006 01:32 PM

Well did you like any of the metals i created in this thread? I can write a tutorial on how I did those for ya if you want.