Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   ITV April 6th (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29371)

Jay 22-03-2008 05:42 AM

ITV April 6th

Hey All

i found out today that the TV series i worked on will be aired on Sunday April 6th at 10pm.

Its all in 3d and from the stuff Ive seen in the edit it looks pretty good, though not all to my taste, however, the models and the renders look beautiful (maya and renderman)

Heres a link to the site where they have a couple of excerpts from the show plus a small gallery of some of the characters that will appear.

Not sure if our American or other european brethren will see it but keep a look out for it anyway.

heres the link http://www.itv.com/entertainment/comedy/headcases/

Its basically a massive piss take on the world of celebrities and politicians in a Toy Story style

cheers
Jay

gster123 22-03-2008 06:34 AM

Nice one Jay!!

Jay 22-03-2008 07:09 AM

Cheers Steve

_Jay

publicFunction 22-03-2008 08:02 AM

Jay,

Did u get credited for this?

Jay 22-03-2008 08:13 AM

Not sure how they are going to do it. Its ITV so they may cut down on credits because they like their adverts.

So either look out for Redvision Ltd - London - Manchester as a whole
or they may split them and credit us under the studio we were 'stationed' at

Im hoping to see my name up there ....

cheers
Jay

Al_mullin 22-03-2008 11:21 AM

well done Jay, its good to see peoples work in production

looks good

mastone 22-03-2008 02:31 PM

I saw Victoria Beckham, Pamela and i believe a Bruce Willis caricature, Funny models

Jay 22-03-2008 05:14 PM

Al_Mullin

Many thanks

Mastone
Its Katie Price (aka Jordan not Jamela)

cheers
Jay

t1ck135 23-03-2008 04:55 AM

those are great 3D caricatures :)
were you involved in making some or all of them jay?

Simon

Jay 23-03-2008 06:05 AM

Hey Si

Yeah I was involved in a lot of character work. The studio has a Manchester and London Division, and I was based in London and was literally the only Character modeler guy there along with the character concept artist, Mark Reeve, who has work for DC Comics in the past, great guy and very funny, there were 3 other character dudes up in Manchester. the rest of the people there were animators or editing or prop building.

I built 30 out of 60 of the main characters in the end and corrected alot of models with bad topology, or ones that Mark didnt feel matched the original designs, although there was a bit of room to let stuff thru if we couldnt match it pic for pic. I really complained some days because the stuff was so bad that was coming from Manchester, I would end up wasting 2-3 days just figuring what the hell was going on with the geo...and uv layouts too, some of it was enough to make you go blind. So by the end of the contract, they gave me all the more difficult characters to make. I was bashing out characters from scratch in and around 3 days, 4 at the max if changes were needed to accomodate mocap or directorial comments.

I remember one day getting an email from one of the guys in Manchester, basically handing me his model in defeat of not being able to create good loops around the eyes. It then took me two days to redo the head, I could have made it from head to toe in 3 days as I said.

On the whole it was a great few months work and I learned alot and was also happy to pass on my knowledge to the even the senior animator guys as they were more involved on other projects which involve 3d matte painting and camera moves etc or blowing the crap out of stuff. All in all it was awsome!!

I really hope everyone is inspired when they see it, the quality is just great, it has a nice style.

sorry for the long answer
Jay

publicFunction 23-03-2008 09:40 AM

So really you were doing a Supervising Character Artists job, whilst being a Character Artist.

Tough break, but at least you learnt a lot and saw the quality of work from others. Get it on your CV and get an entry into IMDB m8 :D

Jay 23-03-2008 09:49 AM

R@nSiD

Yeah pretty much, but I wouldnt say it was a tough break, it was just an eye opener in terms of seeing how other character artists work, which was disappointing in some respects, maybe Im just a hard task master when it comes to the modelling of such things...

Again an awsome experience...

Yeah its on the cv already, IMDb is a good idea for sure.

cheers for now
Jay

Jay 23-03-2008 10:25 AM

Ive just been notified by a friend at the Sun Newspaper of the video of Nicolas Sarkosy, have a scroll down

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...icle968436.ece

I did the model and textures on the character, the set was put together by Luke Dodd, the main animation is mocap which was edited also by Luke.

Cheers and enjoy

Jay

t1ck135 23-03-2008 03:29 PM

cool :) its good to know what you were involved in and how it developed into the final result (which does look great)
I'm also a bit surprised that employed 3D modellers couldnt do the job to task - gives us wannabes a bit more confidence :)

Simon

Jay 23-03-2008 03:51 PM

Hi Si

I wouldnt say couldnt do it, I think was a a case of wouldnt some days. But as it was an eye opener and a surprise. I know a a couple of guys were fresh out of college as well but I dont want to make excuses

Cheers glad you like it all so far

Jay