Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Dynamics & Special Effects (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Atom Project. <Need Dynamics Help> (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29904)

bilalbajwa2336 16-05-2008 05:05 PM

Atom Project. <Need Dynamics Help>

I am building a model for an atom. I want to show the atom of a hydrogen in which electron is revolving around the nucleus. as electron revolves it leaves its short trail which dies by fading.

Here what i have done till now.

Created a nurbs circle > created a particle emitter > animation of the emitter along the nurbs circle.

:headbang:

Guys please help me in making a trail of the revolving electron which dies before the electron passes through the same point again. I want my electron to be a sphere, Glowing, fading trail, along the arc of the orbit. I dont want tangential fading tail.

I will highly appreciate your help.

Thanks

ragecgi 16-05-2008 07:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I created this quick file for you to learn from that does what you want:)

Instead of animating an emitter along the path of a circle, I simply created a sphere named "hydrogen" that rotates around a larger sphere called "Nucleus".

The small sphere rotates via a simple "time" expression applied to its' Y rotation attribute, rather than keyframing it along a path etc.

I then applied a simple surface emitter to the smaller sphere so particles would emit from it as it rotates around the larger sphere.

I then reduced the length of the "tail" by simply reducing the particle's lifespan.
So now the tail dies long before it reaches back around itself again:)

To get the tail to "fade", I leave that learning lesson up to you:)
HINT: "opacityPP" ;)

Good luck!

bilalbajwa2336 17-05-2008 02:51 AM

HipHip Huray

Thanks a lot. Now it perfectly makes sense. Believe me i am been dreaming all night that how to do it. I now understand the concept.

:confused: Unfortunately i am unable to take the benefit of your attachment because when i try to open it maya gives me an error

"errors have occured while reading this scene that may result in data loss. Please check the script editor for details."

Can you please recheck the file and resend me. Either here or on my email

bilalbajwa2336@hotmail.com

I highly appreciate your help. This forum is awesome. I am learning a lot.

:attn:

ragecgi 17-05-2008 11:30 AM

The file is a Maya 8.5 Unl. file.

It will not open with Maya 8 or earlier, sorry:(

I explained exactly what I did to make the file, so for you to create it yourself, it should only take you about 15-20 minutes:)

1. Select your outer, rotating, smaller sphere.
2. Goto Particles > Emit From Object.
3. Adjust the particle emitter's rate and speed to taste.
4. Adjust the ParticleShape lifespan to die quickly by setting it to a low value.

Thats pretty much it.

For more details on working with particles and emitters, please check the help under Particles and Dynamics:)

Good luck!

bilalbajwa2336 17-05-2008 11:40 AM

:attn: Thanks for reply. I am been working on it and i am able to create what i wanted (thanks to you) except there is one problem. I cant get a sharp tail of the revolving electron. Do you know how to do that?

Also tell me what are "Particle Expressions"? Is this some kind of programming??:confused:

ragecgi 17-05-2008 12:10 PM

Quote:

I cant get a sharp tail of the revolving electron. Do you know how to do that?
Well, the easiest way to achieve the "sharp" shape for the tail in the way that you require, is to:

1. Select the "tail" particleShape and apply a Radial field.
2. Parent the Radial Field to the smaller sphere
3. In the Attribute Editor, set the field to be a "volume" with a shape of "Sphere".
4. Position this field at roughly the distance behind the small sphere where you want the tail to be "sharp".
5. Adjust the fields' magnitude to a NEGATIVE value (i.e. -50 for example) so as to pull the particles into the shape of a point at the moment before they die:)
Quote:

Also tell me what are "Particle Expressions"? Is this some kind of programming??:confused:
For more detailed explanation on that exact question, see the following chapters in the Maya help:

Using Maya
__>General
_____>Mel and Expressions
________> Particle Expressions <-- :)

Good luck!

ragecgi 17-05-2008 12:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Also, I tried exporting the scene as a .MA AND a .fbx file just in case you might be able to IMPORT that into your version of Maya.

Here is the .MA file (Maya Ascii)

ragecgi 17-05-2008 12:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
....and here is the .FBX file:

ragecgi 17-05-2008 12:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And last but not least, here is a sample pic I rendered to show you the result of this quick sample scene:

bilalbajwa2336 17-05-2008 01:11 PM

Duplicating orbit problem.

Thanks a lot for the help. I will try what you told me. It will hopefully work.

Once i have achieved the right tail. Please tell me how to duplicate the orbit with the electron + tail. to make more orbits for a complex atom but keeping the effects same as the for the first electron. Simple duplicate option is not working.

Thanks a lot for helping me.:attn:

ragecgi 17-05-2008 04:09 PM

Yes, simple duplication does not work for some things as there are far too many connections to deal with, etc.

Since you simply need the same type of particle and emitter settings, all you need to do is get your first emitter and particleShape acting and looking the way you want, then:

1. Open the attribute editor for your emitter.
2. At the top-right of the Attribute Editor dialog window, there is a "Presets" button.
3. Click and HOLD that button to create a preset for your current emitter settings.
4. Now, select your ParticleShape and follow steps 1-3 again.

Now, all you have to do is animate any more spheres you need, then simply apply a surface emitter to them, and apply your "Preset" you created earlier by opening the attribute editor for the NEW emitters and particleShapes, and holding-down the Preset button, and choosing "Replace":)

Good luck!

bilalbajwa2336 18-05-2008 01:49 AM

Thanks a lot for your help. I will post again under this title if anything comes up.

Thanks a lot. I highly appreciate your help. :attn: :attn: :attn: :attn: :attn: :attn: :attn: :attn: :attn: :attn:

ragecgi 18-05-2008 03:00 AM

No problem:)

bilalbajwa2336 18-05-2008 03:08 AM

Animation Problem

Now i want to rotate my atom.

Electron is already revolving around the nucleus and i want it keep revolving while the atom rotates.

What i did was i grouped electron with nucleus. and then set key frame (360 deg) for the whole group. The problem is atom rotates fine but electrons stops revolving after one orbit.

Does my number of frames for revolving electron = total number of frames of my animation ?????

Please help me.!!!

:confused: :headbang: :(

ragecgi 18-05-2008 06:21 AM

Well, without seeing your scene file I'm not sure about your setup.

But to get everything to follow the leader, so to speak, the rule of thumb to remember in Maya parenting, is:
"Children First, Parent last".

So, if you want everything to follow the position of your nucleus, or a master group node, then select everything you wish to be children, THEN select the PARENT last, and then group it:)

To get things to rotate, say, on the Y axis WITHOUT worrying about keyframes, you can do the following:

1. Right-click on the objects Y rotation attribute in the channel box and choose "Expressions".
2. Apply the following: yourObjectRotateY = time*80;
(Sub "yourObject" for your actual object name)

If you MUST use keyframes, then you can also open the Graph Editor for your keyframed object, select the keys in the Graph editor view, and Goto: Curves, and set the Pre and Post infinity to Cycle, and your rotation will loop:)