Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Dec/Jan - Noob - FlashFreak (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14641)

FlashFreak 08-12-2004 02:24 PM

Dec/Jan - Noob - FlashFreak

No idea if this is of any use to me.. might learn a lot from it:D

I've got my exams for the next 2 weeks but after that ill be trying to achieve something:)

Will be in the star wars spirit:P

Gl everybody

13uRneR 08-12-2004 03:53 PM

yay starwars! cant wait to see what you come up with

FlashFreak 08-12-2004 06:09 PM

ok this is the idea:P im going to try to design a pod racer stadium including 1 or if i have the time 2 pod racers.. ive got some spair time (resting from the hard learning:P) on my hands so i've started on the sides where the people can sit down:) will post it asap..

FlashFreak 08-12-2004 06:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
first preview:)

FlashFreak 08-12-2004 06:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
another one...

c&c please.. first project on my own lol:bandit:

t3logy 08-12-2004 09:16 PM

Good job FF! You are going to learn loads right here. When you get the book, I'll be jealous.

Good luck, Freak.

T3logy

Mantat 08-12-2004 09:23 PM

EH.. you better read teh rules again. You are supposed to make a character model, not a scene. But still, you can make your scene in the WIP section of the site and still learn a lot from it!

blomkaal 08-12-2004 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mantat
EH.. you better read teh rules again. You are supposed to make a character model, not a scene. But still, you can make your scene in the WIP section of the site and still learn a lot from it!
You'd might wanna read the rules one more time yourself:

Quote:

Originally posted by MtMckinley
2) The goal is to create a piece of game art. Characters are very popular obviously, but you're not limited to just characters/creatures. However, keep your triangle (tri) polycount at or below 7000!

FlashFreak 08-12-2004 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mantat
i know:P but i cant seriously start for another 2 weeks because of my exams..:) just messing around to learn things here and there

p.s. the scene would be 7000+ tri's anyway lol.. its at 1600 already:P

Mantat 08-12-2004 09:35 PM

Humm.. my bad!

Its just that I couldnt figure out how to make something that big with such a low tri count!

13uRneR 09-12-2004 12:23 AM

you should decide where your camera view will be and delete every single face that you cannot see, look under your model to, cuz in a game if you dont see it, why waste precious polygons!

mtmckinley 09-12-2004 12:27 AM

Yes, it doesn't have to be a character.

Looking forward to it!

FlashFreak 09-12-2004 12:08 PM

thanks for all the cheers and support:p can use it lol..

ive got a question regarding the comment about the view..

Most of the objects there are polygon cubes, what if i would use planes? I dont need all the other sides for lets say the seats? I assume a plane has less tri's than a cube?

13uRneR 09-12-2004 01:20 PM

I would keep it as cubes, but all you would need to do is delete faces that are inside, or behind, with planes something bigger and close up might look flat and non-3D

FlashFreak 10-12-2004 03:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ok after screwing around i finally started focussing on my project.. since im a star wars fan:) games and movies.. i decided to build sebulba's podracer from the movies. (Hes the ugly guy that gets slapped with a frog like thing lol..)

heres a preview of the engine so far..

tris count at 1160.. sounds doable considering its half done and i need 2 of them:P + the main body