Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   modeling a scene (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27733)

tecone 06-10-2007 10:17 PM

modeling a scene

hello, where is a good start if i wanted to begin modeling a scene, such as my living room or bed room. the problem i am having is where to start. thanks

bendingiscool 07-10-2007 08:12 AM

take some reference piccy's, you could then put them on planes within maya. However with a room I would personally layout a ground plane and build up from there, but thats just how I would do it, personal preference I guess!!

Chris

marlonjohn 07-10-2007 12:12 PM

Well, i would start of the most important things then work my way up. Such as do the walls, doors, windows,

then objects such as tablets chairs and all them small bits such as speakers, cups, pencils.

Then maybe if you wanted to, you can add a bit of detail to the room such as skirting boards etc...

Hope this helps,

tecone 07-10-2007 01:50 PM

thanks, that does help me with making a general outline for it, now do you do it in nurbs or polygons or what? Thanks again

jsprogg 07-10-2007 02:31 PM

The choice of Polys or nurbs is a personal one since you can in theory make anything from either.Polygons tend to be easier in general especially for a beginner but if you plan to texture your scene may take a little more time because you will have to UV map the objects.
Try to work to scale also , so take a few measurements of your room and set your working units to suit so you can create your model to scale as this will help you keep everthing else in scale like desk, bed ect.

tecone 07-10-2007 04:40 PM

ok cool, thanks alot guys

tecone 08-10-2007 11:12 AM

ok another thing, slightly different, i used the curve tool to make some objects (after revolving and whatnot) i then used the loft and planar to put stuff together, and when i select all the object and try to group them, it doesnt group, it says it did, but when i select one, they are seperate and not grouped, any way to get them grouped? (this is the tutorial i was following http://en.9jcg.com/comm_pages/blog_content-art-105.htm) thanks

jsprogg 08-10-2007 12:42 PM

ok if you select an object it's just that object,to select the group that object is in hit the up arrow key .

marlonjohn 09-10-2007 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by tecone
thanks, that does help me with making a general outline for it, now do you do it in nurbs or polygons or what? Thanks again
In my opinion i would do everything in polygons, and if they needed to be abit smooth around the edges just bevel them. Though i would only use nurbs if i needed stuff like pens/vases etc...

Quote:

Originally posted by jsprogg
ok if you select an object it's just that object,to select the group that object is in hit the up arrow key .
hey jsprogg, when did you know how to do that? i didn't even know until now when you said it :S i always had to open the outline and then find the group which sometimes took ages lol ...

thanks again

jsprogg 09-10-2007 03:57 AM

Quote:

hey jsprogg, when did you know how to do that? i didn't even know until now when you said it :S i always had to open the outline and then find the group which sometimes took ages lol ...
Hey Marlon in Maya there is always more than one way to do anything ;)
In answer to your question I have known about the up and down arrow keys more or less from my first video tutorial, it is sometimes called pickwalking.You can go up and down the hierarchy for many things if you want the node above or below but I think most newbies just know about using it for joints.

marlonjohn 09-10-2007 06:01 AM

Haha yeah, in maya theres so many ways of doing things...

Most newbies like me though it was only for joints :p haha!