Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   P51d (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36310)

Jay 08-09-2011 10:33 PM

P51d

1 Attachment(s)
Okay so another piece for my portfolio. A P51 Mustang.

cheers
Jay

ctbram 09-09-2011 12:17 AM

I like the way you are handling the air scoop and the wing. I have seen a couple of these done and they always seem to want to extrude the scoop from the bottom of the fuse and wing. The approach you are taking is closer to the way the wing, fuse, and scoop are actually built and will look really good.

Jay 09-09-2011 07:03 AM

Heya Rick

thanks mate. Yeah Ive really been studying the plane for a while just soaking up its shapes and the placement of that scoop. I actually started this as a poly 'plane' and just shaped it to the profile with very rough cuts to get the positions before cleaning it to round it out.

Theres a huge tendancy to get stuff done all in one so to speak, forgetting in the long run that things are built with separate pieces in reality. By building it in parts makes for a better result in these cases.

hopefully update later tonight.

cheers
Jay

bullet1968 10-09-2011 07:31 AM

Looks like a good start Jay...competition for me LOL.....kidding you would whip my arse any day. I will be watching Master jay...clozer and clozer.

cheers bullet

Jay 10-09-2011 08:54 AM

Hey Ant

ahh no, this a new one for me to be honest. I know Ive worked at a few studios, but its mainly been photreal organic work or hardsurfaced sci fi made up stuff. I'll be aiming for as best possible on this one too, complete with Pilot

Your spitfire is looking good mate. Im watching too LOL

Hope to update this a bit today.

daverave 10-09-2011 08:52 PM

I had a look at that ref site you found has some great stuff for the mustang, close up of machine guns in the wing and how to load them will you be doing that much detail.........dave

ctbram 10-09-2011 09:01 PM

Ref site? I don't see a link.

daverave 10-09-2011 09:03 PM

Sorry Rick its in the resource forum, just add today by Jay.........dave

Edit:under vehicles

Jay 10-09-2011 09:05 PM

Hey Dave,

Well at the moment the plan is a nice detailed model. I do want to do a pilot as well to go with it. Then animate it....I have already storyboarded the animation, but its a way off yet

Rick: Its in the resources lounge under vehicles

cheers mate
Jay

ctbram 10-09-2011 09:10 PM

cool thanks guys

bullet1968 10-09-2011 10:03 PM

Awwwwwww you going to animate!!! AND a pilot...you are def going to kick my butt. Will you be doing the interior of the cockpit mate?? if you are let me know as I still have the dash for the ME-262 so I can whip you over the dials and crap I made...you will just hae to scale tem down as I was a noob proper when I did it.

cheers bullet

Jay 11-09-2011 06:44 AM

Hey dude

thanks man. Well I have a P51 cockpit interior pic for ref, but I'll be scouring the web for more, will post any findings in resources as ever.

Yeah animate too. Im doing a personal showreel, although I generally model and texture (preferably) I know a fair bit about other stuff - the movies/tv shows I've done dont really show what Im capable of, so want to do more by myself and expand the skillset - lighting, rendering, comp and so on....more generalist - you are only as good as your last show. Thats another reason why I did Audrey, she was for the personal reel too, hence the hair too.

updates coming
Jay

bullet1968 11-09-2011 07:11 AM

2 Attachment(s)
No probs mate...here they are..I dont think they are good enough for the resource lounge but feel free to put them in there if you like...they may be jumbled or doubled up but I was a noob..still am LOL. If they help great...

cheers bullet

P.S yes they are made by me from 1 photograph...no cheats......all mine...you will have to scale them into your model of course...I wasnt thinking of the next tier when I did them.

Jay 11-09-2011 09:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hey Bullet Cheers. I'll have a look.

Heres an update on the fuselage/scoop. Although you cant see it here, the wing elevator has an interesting shape that it sits in, its been an arse to find good refs for the underside of that area, but I managed to find it, its like its been cut out to fit an over sized elevator, its weird but once you get your head around it it makes sense. also a bit of progress on the canopy.....

cheers
Jay

ctbram 11-09-2011 10:04 PM

yum yum looking good. Are you working from orthos?