Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   CUT TOOL (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5004)

englar 05-04-2003 11:55 PM

CUT TOOL

1 Attachment(s)
Hi ppl, is there a way to cut a polygon with the polygon cut face tool snaping the cut plane to two vertex? if not, is there another way? i eed to cut the selected polygon by the selected vertex of another polygon!

Thx in advance

Ultragames 05-04-2003 11:59 PM

Select the object to cut,, make sure its in object mode. Get your Cut Faces tool, click the center of the boue line, swing it out, then turn it so you have it angled right, and let go.

EDIT: I think your wanting to do it more perfect? You could get your split polygon tool, and cut if face by face, so its perfect. This 'snaps' Not sure exactly what you want, your very unclear.

Nem 06-04-2003 12:06 AM

once you select a point on an edge, you can hold the middle mouse button to move it once u let go of the left mouse button, you can snap it then i think

Darkware 06-04-2003 12:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
There is also the facePathSplit tool. This script can be found in the bonus game plug-in at Alias|Wavefront's site. It basically is the same thing as the split poly tool, only it will split your object down the middle all the way around with one click. Recommended only for use on simple, cube-like shapes unless you really know how to use it.

Here is the actual script alone for easy download. And once you have it, here's how you get it to work:
1) Open the Script Editor.
2) Choose File>Source Script.
3) Browse for the script, press "ok."
4) type facePathSplit into the Script Editor or command line and press enter. All script commands are CaSe SeNsItIvE I believe.

At this point, you will have noticed that the bottom section of your tool box has a blank tool in it. This is the facePathSplit tool.

5) Select your object, then select the blank box in the toolbox.
6) Click on your object and view the results.

englar 06-04-2003 01:36 AM

Thx a lot for your help guys :), what i ment by snaping is that i need to split the polygon precisly by the marked vertex in red, this vertex belong to another polygon that im using to help me split the above polygon in precise direction!! Ill see what i can do with this script!!

tariqrf 06-04-2003 01:46 AM

i think thats the same thing that comes with MJPolytools.. the loop split, use it all the time,, i basically split the edge and move it to where i want ... awesome srcript

can be found at: maya3d.dk

englar 06-04-2003 01:50 AM

i've got it too, its a great script yes!! The facepathsplit its good too but only split a face or the entire polygon by the middle of the selected edge that we choose, but what what i need its completly diferent, i need to split by a line or a plane that i want to snap by some particular vertex!

mtmckinley 06-04-2003 03:48 AM

shouldn't be too tough to split it and then point snap the resulting points to where you need them.

I-Iybrid 06-04-2003 03:47 PM

Yes, the MJ Poly Tools is an awsome script.

Ultragames 06-04-2003 06:53 PM

WOW! Nice tool! I love this thing! Awsome, thanks so much!

englar 06-04-2003 08:25 PM

yes mike it shouldn't but the vertex between the extreme ones (merked in red) don't snap precisely to the edges of the other polygon!