Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Female Student prob (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29920)

nkeysun 18-05-2008 10:50 AM

Female Student prob

1 Attachment(s)
need help... thanks

Rhetoric Camel 18-05-2008 10:51 AM

I don't know much about this sort of thing, but from the little experience I've had doing rigging and animating, it looks like you need to paint the weights better in the dress. This is what is hardest for me, I can't seem to paint weights properly.

alexanderH 19-05-2008 12:59 AM

Looks like there is nowhere near enough geometry in the dress for it to deform properly.

Why model geometry that is hidden by clothing? It only adds more work and more potential problems. If you delete what will never be seen life will be a lot easier.

I think the bottom of the dress needs more geometry because it looks like there is a line of verts at the wasit and one at the bottom so it pushes the bottom ones out and hence you get a straight line from bottom to waist.

AikoWorld 22-05-2008 02:12 PM

jup i think alexander has hit it there on the geometry part, for every joint rotation point i would add 3 edge loops for cartoon
5 edgeloops for realistic.

If you are going for realistic i would not use joints thou, i would go with cloth simulations.

publicFunction 22-05-2008 05:05 PM

OK...

Lets look at the beginning... What do you want to achieve with the girl model. How will it be animated? Do you want to show leg movement under the skirt/dress?

TBH, I would not use weights on anything that is supposed to resemble clothing, make the geometry into clothing. Use Maya Cloth or Maya nCloth. Ensure you get the settings just right and make the girl a collision object for the cloth, once thats done you get get the cloth to settle and the set its initial state to what you need, start your animation (turn off the cloth object to make the animating easier and then enable it again and run a playblast to make sure you are getting the results you need.

to make a poly object behave like cloth by painting weights onto it is time consuming and requires it to have a high poly count. Maya Cloth and nCloth were developed to make sure animators and fx artists didnt have to go through those problems.

Also it will look better in the long run.

gster123 22-05-2008 06:53 PM

If you do want to make clothing match the skin (which is a nice elegant solution if odne right) use the copy skin weights command, in 2008 its just the ticket, the only thig you'll lack is the deformations in the cloth due to gravity and effects, but if you then make the skirt cloth after that (ncloth that is) is will still follow thte original mesh.

Edit - It's also faster on the nucleus solver and a lot easier to set up than painting weights (its also autodesk's recommended workflow with ncloth or it was at least)

ragecgi 22-05-2008 07:41 PM

Maybe this is just a personal thing, but i usualy have no problems if a girl wants to let her butt hang out.

Thoughts? hehe...

Cmon, there had to be that ONE guy that just HAD to say something, so it looks like it was me this time, lol.

publicFunction 22-05-2008 08:04 PM

LOL rage...