Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Considering Schooling (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10688)

Bubba Sac 29-02-2004 05:58 PM

Considering Schooling

Hello all,

I am a Canadian living in Montreal. I graduate with a degree in electrical engineering 8 years ago and I can't stand the work. I have recently completed an introductory course and maya and now believe I have found my life calling...I loved the class so much.

Now I have a few questions. I have applied to a university animation program and a university fine arts program (digital media) program here in Montreal. I am also looking at a 1 year college program in Toronto at the International Acedemy of Design, Toronto film School. They specialize in Maya.

Which is the best way to break into the field? Or is there something else I should be considering? University looks like it gives me a well rounded program, but I'd be learning Maya on my own...college gets me in right away...but is not as rounded.

Any opinions would help greatly.

I never want to go back to engineering...infact, I already quit my job.

Bubba

Kurt 29-02-2004 06:09 PM

Hi Bubba Sac, I went to Toronto at the International Acedemy of Design. To learn Maya. The course was only 9 months when I was there but its a year long now.

I found that the course was great they covered everything pretty much from design/storyboarding, modeling, dynamics, animation, and directing. You will also get to do some life drawing to help you delvelope your skill to get your ideas on paper.

You would have a good skill set comming out of there.

I was teachers assistant their for a few months after I finished the course.

Best of Luck

Kurt

mtmckinley 29-02-2004 06:10 PM

The only thing that will get you a job is a portfolio. The steps you take to get that portfolio can vary. For some people, it's goin to school to get the skills, others teach themselves, but in either case, if they have a good portfolio, they have the best chance at a job in the field.

Zyk0tiK 03-03-2004 02:51 PM

Same as everything, qualifications mean nothing, expierience is everything.

Bubba Sac 03-03-2004 04:29 PM

Thanks for your help guys.

I am going for an open house at the Acedemy this Sunday.

Kurt, I was looking at your website. You mentinoed that the Acedemy was very good for you, but do you think it could have replaced your visual degree (as far as experience, I don't really care about the peice of paper)?

Thanks,

Bubba

Kurt 03-03-2004 05:39 PM

HI BubbaSac.... I dont regreat getting my Degree... at the time thats what I wanted to do "draw and paint" and it has in my opion helped me in a lot of ways when it comes to my 3d studies. The biggest help with my formal training is being able to SEE, in other ways like understanding lines, form and delveloping my creativity.

Some times to do think what and where I be if i got hit with the 3d bug before the drawing bug.

As far as replacing the visual degree, I think I could have replaced it for me if I got interested in it earlier. Its really comes down to the individual... I see both sides, Great artists with formal training, artist that have none, and artsit who learnd on there own. As Mike said it really comes down to your work (PORTFOLIO)..... A degree might stop your resume from being tosted at the start, but you have to have work that shows exactly how good you are or can become with some guideness.

I sometimes wish now that I went into 3d right off the bat...I wouldn't have so much school debt now=)

The Academy will give you a lot of the skill sets you will need to break into the 3d market, but like any specialized field it takes a lot more work, time and determintion out side of school as well to break in.

Hope you have a good time on Sunday. If you see Steven Bowie, Valary Ibbett.. tell them Kurt said to say hi.

Kurt