Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   First .......... Anything (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10839)

sarge40 08-03-2004 01:21 PM

First .......... Anything

1 Attachment(s)
Well ......... Here goes. This is my first attempt at anything in Maya. I have attempted a tutorial from Gary Lewis and Jim Lammers book "Maya 5 Fundamentals" which I bought last weekend, (a book I can very much recommend). ....... and here it is so far ........ be kind to me :nervous:
It is done in extruded polygons.
I can't work out how to get rid of the annoying pink dots though, and I wanted to post a converted polygon to subdivision pic, but it seems to only want to smooth one part only, I made sure all items were selected, but no go ...... *sigh* .... I have a lot to learn yet.

Alan 08-03-2004 01:31 PM

post jpgs not BMPs they are huge files (comparitively speaking).

Upload a different pic and you will get more responses :)

Alan

sarge40 09-03-2004 11:37 AM

yeah well that was well received I see .......... *sigh*

This is actually very hard to do isn't it.

:disap:

Alan 09-03-2004 12:20 PM

it's actually not a bad model so far. I think that you need to pay more attention to the nose detailing but apart from that it's clean and well proportioned.

One question is though why are you using mspaint to make your pics? why dont you render them in maya as jpgs?

Alan

rich 09-03-2004 12:21 PM

sarge... dont be discouraged; it is a steep learning curve but your model looks good. Maybe you could try rendering it and posting it (as a jpeg :) ) on the here... you'll get many more responses that way.

As for the pink dots... these are one of the display options when you are in component mode. By default, in polygon component mode you can select faces, edges, vertices (the pink dots), and vertex faces. You can switch back to object mode by pressing F8. This will allow you to select and manipulate the entire mesh as a single entity.

Keep it up and let's see some renders...

sarge40 09-03-2004 01:04 PM

getting there ............

can't attach files for some reason ....... did I do a bad thing?

I would render them in Maya ......... if I knew how ........ :(

rich 09-03-2004 01:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Getting a render in Maya is quite straightforward. I'll give you the steps to do it with default lighting:

(1) Frame your model nicely in your viewport.
(2) Switch to the Rendering menu set by pressing F5
(3) Select the following menu path: Render->Render Current Frame...

A window (Render View) will pop-up and, shortly afterwards, your image will be rendered.

You can then save your image directly from the Render View by clicking File -> Save Image...

Edit: I strongly recommend doing a search in the Maya documentation for "Render View", this will give you all the useful features of this window.

Once you have the hang of this basic rendering, I suggest downloading Mike McKinley's 3 Point Lighting tutorial which will teach you a simple lighting scheme to make your renders much nicer.

To post the images as attachments to messages on this site, you need to click the Post Reply button (see below), this will take you to a more detailed posting page.

The post reply button looks like this:

rich 09-03-2004 01:41 PM

Also, you may want to read up (in the Maya docs) on the basic, useful lights, such as Point Light, Directional Light, Area Light, and Spot Light. Play around with them and see the difference they make to your renders.