Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Dynamics & Special Effects (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Candle flame. (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12416)

Scraggy_dog 28-06-2004 07:14 PM

Candle flame.

Hi again,

OK I am looking at making a candle flame to put on the table in that Graveyard scene I did (It's in the WIP Forum)
So it's not a close up and does not need to be animated (Animated flames are all I can find on net)
I was wondering if I just made the shape of a flame in Nurbs say from a streched sphere, and applied a "ramp shader" [Somehow??] to make it look like the different shades on a flame? is this how it's done?

BTW - I looked for a shader someone may have already done on another 3D site, but only found 'fire' shaders. not really a candle - so that's why I thought the 'ramp' may work if set right...?

Any Ideas ?
Regards Scraggy

said 07-07-2004 03:58 AM

Very simple approach

Hi there Scraggy.

I know you have posted it long ago, and I imagine you have already figured out some way to do this candle.

I only wanted to show an idea i had long ago too when I was dealing with Maya for the first months and I wanted to model a flame of a candle. I didn't know nothing about dynamics effects or particles, so I did what came to my mind at that time.

For the flame, I used 3 polygon spheres with lambert materials each one setted with different colours: Blue, orange and yellow. The yellow one was streched (its geometry) to look like the shape of a candle flame. Then I applied a glow effect with hidden source on every material and positioned the spheres in an appropriate manner.

I think it was very simple, since it was not convincing as a real flame, and since it wasn't animated with dynamics. But I think just looked nice.

Well, hope this simple idea can be useful someway...

See ya.

Scraggy_dog 07-07-2004 04:46 PM

Thankyou very much, yours has been the first post since I asked the question. And I have just left the project until I came up with an answer - so the 'scene' is judt 'shelved' at the moment - Thanks a lot I will have a go at that - or maybe I will use Nurbs and apply the same idea... (I already have the shape done in Nurbs using deformers - but cannot find a "shader" that looked anything like a candle flame - just more like Fire.

Thanks Scraggy

Scraggy_dog 07-07-2004 04:48 PM

Looks like all the dates on the Posts are screwed up a tad!!!!

Dunno about you guy's in the rest of the world but it's July the 7th here ;) Just noticed......

Mantat 07-07-2004 05:55 PM

why not put something to illuminate the scene as a candle would and then do post production in PS to put the flame over the candle.

Scraggy_dog 07-07-2004 10:03 PM

Hmmm Mantat - Photoshop - Make a sort of "light ball?" would not have a clue where to start - am Noob

Sounds good, but have no idea how to do it .

Thanks Scraggy