Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   quick texturing question (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25390)

Rhetoric Camel 11-03-2007 12:05 PM

quick texturing question

When I lay out UV's can I take multiple UV Snapshots with only a few UV's in the box take a snap shot and then put other UVs in and repeat process, or is it mandatory to put all UV's in at one time in one snap shot?
The reason I ask this is because I have a scene where some of the detail I'm doing transfers back in blurry because I had to shrink the UV quite a bit to get it to fit with all the other UVs
Another question is, they don't have to be a blinn when importing them back into Maya do they? The only bit of texturing I've done so far is for the low poly character they used a blinn, but it's too shiny, can I just use a lambert or anything else? Although I only know a little bit about blinn and lambert, and very very very little about Phong...

11-03-2007 12:43 PM

Re: quick texturing question

Quote:

Originally posted by Rhetoric Camel
When I lay out UV's can I take multiple UV Snapshots with only a few UV's in the box take a snap shot and then put other UVs in and repeat process, or is it mandatory to put all UV's in at one time in one snap shot?
The reason I ask this is because I have a scene where some of the detail I'm doing transfers back in blurry because I had to shrink the UV quite a bit to get it to fit with all the other UVs
Another question is, they don't have to be a blinn when importing them back into Maya do they? The only bit of texturing I've done so far is for the low poly character they used a blinn, but it's too shiny, can I just use a lambert or anything else? Although I only know a little bit about blinn and lambert, and very very very little about Phong...

1st question: Yes, you can. Just make sure you donÕt move the UVs that you took snapshots of.

2nd question: You can use any material you want.

Does this answer your questions?

Any other problems or questions?

Rhetoric Camel 11-03-2007 12:48 PM

if I can't move the ones I just took a snapshot of how do I get a snapshot of the other ones when I want to put them in place?
I appreciate the help

11-03-2007 12:50 PM

Quote:

if I can't move the ones I just took a snapshot of how do I get a snapshot of the other ones when I want to put them in place?
I appreciate the help

You deselect the object that you already UV mapped (and took a snapshot of), and it wonÕt show up in the UV editor.

Rhetoric Camel 11-03-2007 01:06 PM

alright I get it now. thank you very much! All the UVs all cluttered together when everything selected isn't going to matter later on for anything I'm guessing, huh? Thanks again

11-03-2007 01:19 PM

Quote:

alright I get it now. thank you very much! All the UVs all cluttered together when everything selected isn't going to matter later on for anything I'm guessing, huh? Thanks again
Just make sure you have the right materials on the right objects! :beer:

Rhetoric Camel 11-03-2007 01:22 PM

rock on, time to dive into this desk scene texturing!