Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Face Project (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3515)

Kühl 26-01-2003 11:54 AM

Face Project

1 Attachment(s)
Ok.... this is my new project. I aim to create a semirealistic head. I hope to get some good feedback on how to develop the model.

Heres the first shot.

Oh, and Kevin; This time posting it the correct forum :D

Kühl 26-01-2003 11:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Added some more details and correcting the face a bit...

Kühl 26-01-2003 12:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And for those who wants to se the smoothed version...

Kühl 26-01-2003 12:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Added somo textures - just to see what is supossed to be corrected...

Kühl 26-01-2003 12:26 PM

what do you think?

Kühl 26-01-2003 06:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the newest update. Still the skin texture is looking very AWFUL! Is there anyone who can learn me to map this guy for real????

Kühl 26-01-2003 07:32 PM

Added a cartoonish shader with help from Mike...

Kühl 26-01-2003 07:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
heres the image...

tariqrf 26-01-2003 07:35 PM

the shape looks a bit awkward to me.... go to maya3d.dk and do the head tutorial... might help... but still great model!!!

Kühl 26-01-2003 08:04 PM

Thanks for the reply tariqrf.

Yes, I know it look a bit awkward, but i'm still satisfied so far. The model is only my third, and I have never been this far before ;)

However.... the model is to be developed even further. I just needed some comments in here. What to make better etc.

Thanks again.

PS. I will take the head tutorial.

mtmckinley 26-01-2003 08:16 PM

the main thing is to practice and not over-estimate a model's worth. Learning is always going to be a matter of building models, then junking them. Build it again, and it comes out much better... then junking it, and so on. You'll do this many times through your career. I'm actually planning on junking a few of the models in my gallery, as they just are not as impressive anymore... it's all a part of the improving process. :)

raul 27-01-2003 04:36 AM

mike is right about that. i do it all the time. it makes you much better. do it over and over.

wchamlet 27-01-2003 02:54 PM

I think the only thing that I see that really doesn't look quite right is the mouth. It's much to planer, when it should be more cylindrical. Here's a tip that I used when learning to draw the mouth, but still applies to 3D. Try imagining that the mouth you are modeling is wrapped aroung the front of a soda can. Notice that the mouth would have to follow a curve, which would make it more round.

Here's a suggestion to do this in Maya. Go to nurbs primatives, and create a cylinder. Go to the front viw and scale the cylinder roughly to the height of the head. Then scale the cylinder again to match the curvature of the model's face you have alread made. Move the cylinder to where you feel the mouth needs to be, and start pulling your vertices to match the curvature of the cylinder. You can either make the Cylinder a template or assign it to a layer and switch the layer to reference. That way you don't accidentally select the cylinder all the time. Hope this helps.

Good luck with your modeling.

Chad

Kühl 27-01-2003 07:58 PM

Wchamlet: Nice illustration. I will try and work on that one.

wicket 28-01-2003 09:45 AM

Nice job man! I remember my third model... no where near as good as yours! Also only had a DOS 3D studio 2... but hey you're still doing better than I did! :D Keep it up!