Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   SM Tournaments (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Tournament #2 - Black Robe VS Witchy - RND 1 (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5894)

M 22-05-2003 01:08 AM

Tournament #2 - Black Robe VS Witchy - RND 1

Alright, this tournament round goes on for 5 days. It will then go on for one day after that, when it will be voted for. If you vote for one, please vote for the rest of them as well. Also, if the next day there are not at least 3 votes on one side, the mods will judge the winner. Have a great time and this round is on:

Underwater Creature :D.

Textures are a must.. but can be as little as lamberts and blinns :P. The two battlers for this thread are:

Black Robe
and
Witchy

Have a great battle!

DO NOT VOTE UNTIL BOTH FINAL RENDERS ARE IN

http://64.180.100.76/public/personal...ya/tourny2.jpg

Witchy 22-05-2003 01:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Best of luck Blackrobe! Allow me to start us off- I am really looking forward to seeing your cartoon crab!

I decided to go with a cartoon fish based (but with a few added features) on this picture I found on the net;

Witchy 22-05-2003 01:31 AM

People who have seen my workflow in the past know I start in funny places (normally boots but the fish doesn't have any which is rather inconvenient) so I decided to try out a nurbs eye tutorial I found on the net for my fish's cartoon eyes.

Witchy 22-05-2003 01:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Working on the basis of a tutorial I have followed in the past (it was for an elephant, I made a camel to accessorise a game map, have a horse WIP, and now a fish, handy technique!) I laid out the basic shape and have started pulling verts. Once I have the basic shape I shall start more splitting to improve the shape and add details.

The smaller picture at the bottom is a quick smooth of my basic mesh with a little texture I knocked up in PS, definitely not final (took a few minutes and is dreadful) but I wanted to see how it looked striped as I rather like those clown fish thingies.

M 22-05-2003 04:08 AM

Hey its coming along good man! One thing i would suggest though is either go with that same approach, which is kinda hard to get smooth.. or start from a sphere.. because its a fish if you flattened it a lot.. then added a lattice to it and started scaling to your image you could probably get a lot more of a smooth effect pretty quick.. then to add on the tail and the fins, hair thingy... you can do that after by extruding from your general shape.. or continue with the lattice :)... anyways, it looks quite good in that picture, but its your decision if you want to try to get a more smooth effect. Ok, just my 2 cents.. cya

Black Robe 22-05-2003 02:04 PM

YAY!

1 Attachment(s)
Glad to see its started now :) Ive done a bit but Im just in after my exam, was easy :) Well here is an unsmoothe render of my progress.Sorry for the watermarks :( Damn PLE!:banghead:

Black Robe 22-05-2003 02:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
HEre is a smoothed version with one leg done and the claw/arm almost finished...

Black Robe 22-05-2003 02:33 PM

Oh no!M, is it essential that we post concepts because my scanner has broken, my bro dropped a book on the screen and split it :(:(:( Its gonna cost loads to repair or get a new one :'( ARGH! Sorry

Black Robe 22-05-2003 02:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Done some work on the shell and leg.Still need to finish off the claw/arm and the rest of the legs. Loadsa stuff to do actually....Heres a new unsmoothed one.

Black Robe 22-05-2003 02:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
and smoothed, sorry if Im posting too many pics, sorry to the 56k'ers! :)

Witchy 22-05-2003 03:32 PM

Looking good! Perhaps his body might be a bit thin? Claw is nice!

Thanks for the suggestion M;I think I shall stick with the fish this way for now, I did think of a sphere and might fall back on that if this does not work out.

Black Robe 22-05-2003 03:39 PM

Ye I actually thought that, I need to thicken it up a bit.Maybe make it a little higher and chunkier...thanks for the suggestion.I'll get the other side done and then start on the details.

Black Robe 22-05-2003 04:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
New render with both sides done :) I'll just post the smoothed version.Hows yours coming along Witchy?

adldesigner 22-05-2003 04:21 PM

Witchy, when smoothing uncheck Keep Edges.
Might give your fish better looks.

Good luck to both participants.

Witchy 22-05-2003 04:46 PM

Good tip thanks adl!

Didn't know that one. That and a better overall shape should help with the old smoothing. Cheers.

Have not done a thing to it today as just got in from work, but you have scared me again Blackrobe so I shall fire up the old Maya and go to shortly!

Yours is looking really nice, good shape in the legs.