Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Escape Studios (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13543)

Tim_LIVID 16-09-2004 11:22 AM

Escape Studios

I just thought i'de let you all know that I have started the Maya Comprehensive course at Escape Studios in London. This is my 4th lession today and I have to say it is well worth the moeny.

So you be glad to hear that my n00bish questions should stop and sooner or later I should have a decient demo reel.

Oh, one last thing. I am being taught by an American called Michael Ingrassia. Don't know if any of you know him or have heard of him but he seams to know his stuff :D

I will also show you guys some of the stuff I am doing just incase any people out there are thinking of doing the same course.

Wish me luck.

_LIVID

ciaran711 16-09-2004 01:56 PM

Oooo ooo , i have just applied for the info pack to go here, but am still trying to work out how i'm going to save up 8k to get on the course. I would really love to hear more about it m8 as like i say, its a real investment so i want to know its well worth the money. !!

Tim_LIVID 16-09-2004 04:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well by the end of the 3rd day I had made what you see below. This took a couple of hours.

Day 1 -- Modelling an Apple with a leaf and stalk

Day 2 -- Modelling dancing Pumpkin using a latice to add squash and stretch

Day 3 -- Finish Pumpkin and Table

Day 4 (Today) -- Modeling arm and rigging joints

We have been working really hard but no-one seams to mind cos we all enjoying it so much :D

I will keep you updated as I get further in the course, but from what I can see at the moment it seams well worth the moeny.

_LIVID

Alan 16-09-2004 04:56 PM

it takes a day to learn to model an apple :) lol!

how long is the course? 8k seems very expensive to me! that's a lot of SM video tutes!! ;)

luke 16-09-2004 06:17 PM

hmmm ... pure ...
- video tuts or "live tuts/trainings" might be a big difference ...
- please dont get me wrong, as far as i can tell the sm tuts
are magnificent!!
- also if i understand correctly, the 7500€ course is 10 weeks?
that might cause a boost i imagine, 10 weeks of instensive training ...

anyhows, just my 2 cents

like to hear more opinions though

tim enjoy the course, i am sure you will learn a lot

cheers

luke

Alan 16-09-2004 06:28 PM

dont worry no offence taken, I think escape is far too expensive. That's 750€ a week!! I went to bournmouth last year got one year's experience (and a job at the end of it!! :D) for £2500 go figure, I know there are extra costs in living somewhere for a year but I got a much rounder eductaion and a masters degree at the end of it. Have 10 weeks intensive maya is all well and good but unless you undertake a big project and do lots of problem solving and really figure it out a bit then I dont see that it's worth it.... if I had to hire a td (for example) and I had someone with 10 weeks intensive knowledge of maya or someone with 1 year's knowledge and a master's degree (not taking showreel into account but i would imagine the master's one would be better due to the amount of time available) i know who I would pick.

However in saying that this industry doesnt care what qualifications you've got as long as you can do the job...

in saying all this though I'm sure the escape teaching is first class

:ninja:
Alan

lisa_gonzalez 16-09-2004 07:54 PM

Hey there pure_morning.....I went to Bournemouth too. I did the BA tho. I'm with you on the Escape programme. The course I did at Uni didn't cost that much, and I got 3 years of learning Maya, plus other cg packages.

If you don't want to go to Uni tho, you need other options. Just trying to learn Maya off your own back I imagine to be very difficult from scratch - but there are some excellent tuts on this site!! I've learned sooo much just from here, and the help that all the wonderful people who use this site have given me. :D

At the end of the day, its your reel that will get you noticed, so keep up the good work Tim_LIVID, looking forward to seeing some more of your stuff on the site. Good luck :p

p.s: keep up the good work on the site guys, lovin' it more every day!

Tim_LIVID 16-09-2004 08:04 PM

Theses are all valid arguments, Escape might not be right for everyone but I decided I didn't want to spend years at University.

I don't have a problem about the money because I could have easly spent that much on a car for example where as here im spending it on someting that will (hopefully) change my life for the better and ensure I never have to work in a shop again.

When I do something else worthy of posting I will.

_LIVID

ckyuk 16-09-2004 09:54 PM

I was looking into it and recieved the info pack the other day, but decided that although i don't doubt the course is good i'd rather go to uni and get a degree.

ciaran711 16-09-2004 10:10 PM

I would really love to do this course but i just cant afford it really, a) 8k and thats in £ as far as i know means i would have to take a loan of at least 4k

hey LIVID what u do coz i get paid quite well and i cant just blow 8k, u get it all urself ?

and b) i would have to give up my job to go there, which means i cant start paying it back till i get another one.

i personally would much rather do this than 3 years in uni(only m op tho) as ive been to open days etc and saw that i would be learning other stuff i really wasnt interested in and felt it just wasnt for me.

but ahh well :( maybe i could go on one of the lesser courses :bored:

Tim_LIVID 16-09-2004 10:20 PM

That's how I felt, I would much rather spend 10-11 weeks doing pure stuff I want to do rather than spend 3 years and maybe only touch on things I want to do.

I had help from my parents, one thing you could look into is a caree development loan. As I understand you don't start paying it back untill you start earning.

The price I am paying is 7,499 pounds and see how much I have already learn and done in under a week I can see how I can get soo much out of it in 10-11 weeks.

It is something you have to think carefully about thought, as I ahve said it is only moeny in the end and if it helps you progress to a better caree then it must surely be worth it.

_LIVID

P.S. Have you had the chance to vist the studio yet?

ciaran711 16-09-2004 10:30 PM

Yeah i totally agree with you there.

hmm i shall have to look into that, thanks for that info LIVID.

Yeahh i think i could get together half from saving and maybe some help.

i also agree that money is just that at the end of the day, and i have always had that view too.

but the only thing i'm a bit concerend about is running up a debt that i'm going to strugle to pay in the future (i dont mind not having luxuries etc but i dont want to have to scrape a living for a few years and the experiance not help me at all) but i suppose thats the risk i'll probly have to take :D

if it did push my carreer to a new level then it most definatly worth it no questions asked :)

no i havnt yet, i really want to do that but i live in the sticks in wales so i just need to find a good time to get my ass down there an get chatting to the tutors etc

really helpfull having feedback from you though man, gives me a little insight

Tim_LIVID 16-09-2004 10:37 PM

These are all things that I thought over before going on the course, you just have to listen to all the points and make up your mind.

If you do get the chance to get up to the Studio then E-Mail me, chances are i'll be up there when you vist.

Tim_LIVID@yahoo.co.uk

_LIVID

ciaran711 16-09-2004 10:44 PM

Yeahh that'd be good m8, could grab a drink an have a chat with you to see what ya lernt and whats the heads up so far. cheers man

much appreciated

t3logy 17-09-2004 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Pure_Morning
[snip]... i would imagine the master's one would be better due to the amount of time available) i know who I would pick.

However in saying that this industry doesnt care what qualifications you've got as long as you can do the job...

[snip]
:ninja:
Alan

I submit: What of the individual artisan, who, with monotonous regularity, does lots of problem solving and has to really figure it out? The artisan with an intimate understanding born of experience? Pity you cannot imagine which would be better due to the quality of time invested. While I applaud the benefits of "University" and Industry Specific educations, I for one believe you might be in for a few surprises in your lifetime from self taught artisans.

Quote:

Originally posted by lisa_gonzalez
[snip] . . . Just trying to learn Maya off your own back I imagine to be very difficult from scratch - but there are some excellent tuts on this site!! I've learned sooo much just from here, and the help that all the wonderful people who use this site have given me. :D

At the end of the day, its your reel that will get you noticed, so keep up the good work Tim_LIVID,[snip]

Congratulations, Tim Livid. I am one of the self taught artisans out here. I am transitioning from 2D to 3D. I know this industry to judge on ability and talent, not necessarily on degree or institution attended. You cannot go wrong with the course you have chosen. Good luck to you.

t3