Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   3D Self portrait (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19878)

blomkaal 17-01-2006 12:24 AM

3D Self portrait

1 Attachment(s)
Title says it all... This is what I've got after maybe 5-6 hours of modelling and listening to Pink Floyd. Still need lots of tweaking, and of course the rest of the head, but I think I'm off to a pretty decent start... Might bump this over in the challenge forum depending how fast I can get the model done and start texturing, since that'll probably take a while...

Will post wire and picture for comparison first thing tomorrow...

blomkaal 17-01-2006 09:45 AM

Got the rest of the head done, still, some tweaking to do...

Sorry about the image size in my first post, for some unknown reason Maya renders all my 640x480 renders at 800x600...

blomkaal 17-01-2006 09:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And here's the pic :)

blomkaal 17-01-2006 09:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And here's that wire I promised you

blomkaal 17-01-2006 09:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And here's me (I know I look like shit, just got out of bed :) )

t1ck135 17-01-2006 09:59 AM

the cheeks look a bit narrow and the forehead is too square

good start though :)

blomkaal 17-01-2006 09:40 PM

&%#$! I've been tweaking for about 1½ hour, and I think it was starting too look pretty good, so obviously Maya has to crash, and have I saved any changes? Of course not! :angery:

Tick, you're absolutely right, will try to fix those issues (again!), but probably not until tomorrow...

Bizzarostormy 18-01-2006 03:40 AM

set up a time that goes off ever 5 mins to save your work and bump up your inc saves!! and save multi copies!! looking good though

arran 18-01-2006 04:25 PM

Good start mate. Are you using front and side photos in your orphographic views for reference? Just thought that it may help you rough out the basic shape.

Jay 19-01-2006 10:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dude
Neat beard.

Anyway, as already said, forehead is too square and the cheeks are narrow. Also mind that neck, at the back, the cranium is higher at the back. SEE RED PEN!

Also mind the eye height to the top of the head, as a rule your eyes are half way down your head, it doesnt matter who you are.
Your nose is similar to mine so round that sucker off a bit. Ive adjusted the image best possible as I dont have your profile its a rough guess.

cheers
Jay

blomkaal 20-01-2006 11:39 AM

Thanks guys,

I just got my copy of d'Artist Character Modelling yesterday, so I'll probably redo the model, starting sometime next week.

Jay, ph34r d4 r3d p3n! :D

blomkaal 03-02-2006 09:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Picked this one back up, started fresh off and here's the first update:

I've only worked on the general shape, the mouth, and a little on the eyes so far, and I'm pretty happy with the general shape and the mouth... Still, I think the model seems a bit dense considering the amount of detail it has, but I can't really spot and edges that seems expendable. Any suggestions?

arran 03-02-2006 01:37 PM

I am not sure about expendable edges - your mesh looks pretty clean to me. The eyes still look a little high though and the head also seems a bit narrow.

blomkaal 08-02-2006 09:02 AM

Thanks Arran, yeah the eyes should be more centered along the vertical axis, but everything seems to line up pretty well with my refs. Will post them when I start working on this a little later today. Hopefully things will fall into place when I start doing some hair :)

As for the face being narrow, my face actually feels pretty narrow when i grab it, despite the crappy pic I posted earlier :)

arran 11-02-2006 05:16 PM

Hey Bloomkal, if everything is lining up with your refs than pay no attention to my narrow head comments. I am sure it looks fine. I have been considering doing a self portrait as well, but my hideous features are probably beyond my modelling capabilities.

Looking forward to seeing some progress.

:beer: