Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Finished Work (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   lamp outside (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32085)

banksta 17-03-2009 01:40 AM

lamp outside

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my finished piece. I decided to put graffitti on the wall instead of plant life. I just didn't like how the plant life looked.

Chirone 17-03-2009 02:54 AM

i really quite like the lamp, a simple design and nice colours. Although i wonder why the bulb is only partially inside the lamp.

The lighting looks cool though. If you're using mental ray, you should increase the shadow rays and light angle on the light, the shadows are too crisp on the edges. If you're using dmap shadows then i think its the... i forget what it is you increase, resolution? i don't have maya in front of me... i'm just procrastinating at work...

the wall is cool too

the graffiti is a nice touch, looks like someone actually painted it on with spray paint. Doesn't look like the graffiti you get around here though :p

the diagonal block things in the window holes (sorry, i don't know the names of such objects) look out of place. might be the material on them. What are the windows and the diagonal objects made of?

banksta 17-03-2009 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chirone
i really quite like the lamp, a simple design and nice colours. Although i wonder why the bulb is only partially inside the lamp.

The lighting looks cool though. If you're using mental ray, you should increase the shadow rays and light angle on the light, the shadows are too crisp on the edges. If you're using dmap shadows then i think its the... i forget what it is you increase, resolution? i don't have maya in front of me... i'm just procrastinating at work...

the wall is cool too

the graffiti is a nice touch, looks like someone actually painted it on with spray paint. Doesn't look like the graffiti you get around here though :p

the diagonal block things in the window holes (sorry, i don't know the names of such objects) look out of place. might be the material on them. What are the windows and the diagonal objects made of?

Thanks Chirone. The bulb looks just like that from the reference I modeled from and the litle gate thing in the window space is from the same reference. I didn't know what it was either just looked interesting. I assumed the reference pic is from a building in europe somewhere. I left the shadows hard so I would have real strong contrast. Thanks for the crits.

bigtommyb 17-03-2009 08:16 AM

Lamp looks good i think you could have spent more time on everything else in the image tho. It seems like you put a lot of effort into the lamp getting it looking great then went ahh that will do.

Is the bulb the only source of light in the image as it wouldnt be in real life. It seems a night shot so you would also have light from the moon or other lamps in the street (and light from inside the building) so your shadow will never be that strong.

Also as your going for a european look a vine on the wall i think could have been better or even putting up some war/propaganda posters and just more interest into the scene.

I read somewhere (ive forgotten where) that images should either tell a story or just look great and it just feels like yours should be telling some war time story or something.

Finally the slats in the window would also be wood exactly the same as the frames.

Dont take my comments personally they are just crits and the lamp looks good which i think was the main purpose of the image.

T

banksta 17-03-2009 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by bigtommyb
Lamp looks good i think you could have spent more time on everything else in the image tho. It seems like you put a lot of effort into the lamp getting it looking great then went ahh that will do.

Is the bulb the only source of light in the image as it wouldnt be in real life. It seems a night shot so you would also have light from the moon or other lamps in the street (and light from inside the building) so your shadow will never be that strong.

Also as your going for a european look a vine on the wall i think could have been better or even putting up some war/propaganda posters and just more interest into the scene.

I read somewhere (ive forgotten where) that images should either tell a story or just look great and it just feels like yours should be telling some war time story or something.

Finally the slats in the window would also be wood exactly the same as the frames.

Dont take my comments personally they are just crits and the lamp looks good which i think was the main purpose of the image.

T

Thanks for the crits Bigtoomyb I might try out the proganda poster idea and make another render. I thought the hard shadows would add more interest but i guess I could tone them down.

Dango77 17-03-2009 11:18 AM

hi Banksta, I'm liking the modeling of your lamp, but wanted to ask one small question, how come the casing of the lamp, around the bulb isn't casting any shadows themselves? Do you have that part of the object set not to cast, it might add some nice extra detail on the wall behind, once you've added the posters or whatever else you decide to put on there. Just an idea to think about, keep at it!

honestdom 17-03-2009 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bigtommyb

thats exactly what i said! copycat

honestdom 17-03-2009 02:35 PM

the lamp makes no sense to me. it would not have been designed to be half in and half out.

I think the lamp needs more of a bump map on it. you could even just move a few verts to make it look not so CG. (its too smooth and perfect.) give it a few dents. :)

the shadows as were mentioned need to be softer. having them sharp for contrast doesn't make as much sense as having the textures provide contrast. anyway, I thought you were lighting this with IBL? ...it will help your glass look like glass.

bigtommyb 17-03-2009 05:28 PM

Hammer - Great minds think alike :D

And about the lamp design ive seen a few where the bulb doesnt go all the way in. no idea why but i agree that it might look better if it did.

Chirone 17-03-2009 08:23 PM

because we're use to seeing it inside the lamp contained in its little glass prison?

banksta 17-03-2009 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by hammer.horror
the lamp makes no sense to me. it would not have been designed to be half in and half out.

I think the lamp needs more of a bump map on it. you could even just move a few verts to make it look not so CG. (its too smooth and perfect.) give it a few dents. :)

the shadows as were mentioned need to be softer. having them sharp for contrast doesn't make as much sense as having the textures provide contrast. anyway, I thought you were lighting this with IBL? ...it will help your glass look like glass.

I checked out some tuts on IBL hammer and looked for some panorama for the sky dome but could not find any that were sufficient. Any Ideas? As for the lamp it is designed from a reference and looks just like that with the bulb half way out. I thought it was weird at first but I like the design because it is different. I was actually looking for a cg look on this render though so I used direct lighting and light linking. I had moonlight mixed in in the first render and didn't like it as much. I will go back to the moonlight though because it does make more sense. Thanks for the crit.

honestdom 17-03-2009 10:21 PM

here is a link to a good HDR that you should use... better than a sky one, as the lamp would be reflecting the surrounding buildings not just the sky.

give it a shot and post the results.

banksta 17-03-2009 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by hammer.horror
here is a link to a good HDR that you should use... better than a sky one, as the lamp would be reflecting the surrounding buildings not just the sky.

give it a shot and post the results.

Thanks Hammer I will try it out.

banksta 19-03-2009 05:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
made some changes to the render and I used FG with a image for lighting. I didn't see a huge difference maybe because its a night scene. Here is my final render now it's time to move on to a new project.

banksta 20-03-2009 11:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
did one more render added a little more bump to the shutter pieces.