Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   model appears transparent (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34611)

se7enhedd 14-11-2010 01:42 AM

model appears transparent

hi, i'm brand new to maya and struggling thru a few tutorials. whilst I am following most of them and making slow progress, i've noticed that my model has gone transparent.
it's not the 'x-ray' view, as i've switched that off as far as i can tell.
it seemed to start happening after i'd used the proxy commands and toggled the view a few times, i'm using 2011 and some of the hotkeys are different than in the book i'm using, so i'm thinking i might have pressed something by mistake... :S

G-Man 14-11-2010 02:06 AM

Check the Shaders transparency node.
you can do that by opening up attribute editor and looking for the tab for the shader, it'll probably be called lambert something.
Check the transparency node and it is most likely set to something very low.
the smooth proxie duplicates your mesh and smooths it, and turns the transparency value on your base mesh down so you can see through it.
Sounds to me like you might have deleted the wrong mesh or something and ended up with the transparent base mesh.

g-man

se7enhedd 14-11-2010 02:20 AM

thats got it! thanks!!!

whilst i have your attention ;] would you have any idea about how independent the view panels can be i.e. can i have one view in shaded mode, another in wireframe and so-on; and could i have several persp views set to different views around an object?

bullet1968 14-11-2010 03:36 AM

If you go into ther view option in the actual panel you cant turn wireframe on in that panel...it wont show in the others unless you turn them on.
Go to 'create camera' and you can make your own etc. When you want to swap to that camera...go to a panel (i.e top) and choose panels>perspective (or ortho...depending on how it does it..I cant say) but your new camera will be there. I dont usually make a new camera unless I animate...but up to you.

Some body else might get some more info for you.

cheers bullet

Nilla 14-11-2010 07:10 AM

Hmmm, got me confused there bullet;)
For panels do this:
1. You can choose your panel layout by going to
panels > saved layouts (or layouts depending on what you want)
2. To set a panel to be something specific go
panels > perspective (if you want several perspective views)
panels > orthographic (for side, front, top)
panels > panel (for editors like hypershade or outliner)

This way you can customize your viewport panels to pretty much anything you want and it will speed you up a lot using saved layouts and not having open windows all over the place. To move between tap the space bar and just 4 and 5 key for wireframe and shaded.

If you want multiple perspective views within one viewport:
Create> Camera and with the camera selected go
panels > look through selected (to aim your camera)

You can then create as many cameras as you want and just select them and choose look through selected when you want to change the perspective.

bullet1968 14-11-2010 02:02 PM

LOL thats kinda what I meant Nilla...I know how to do it but its hard for me to explain and I was running out the door to a wedding...but you know more than I which is why I added the last...;)

cheers bullet

se7enhedd 14-11-2010 05:56 PM

thanks for the replies - they've helped a lot :)

i've noticed tho, that although i can change the shading (wireframe/lights/etc) within a viewport, when i select an object I get the green wireframe in all views. Is there a way i can turn this off in certain views so i can see exactly what happening to my model whilst i work on it in another viewport

G-Man 14-11-2010 06:00 PM

There is a mel script you can get on creativecrash.com that will allow you to toggle the wireframe visibility on selected objects.
I think its just called toggle wireframe on selected. but I'm not sure.
Its very handy...though i cannot recall if it works specific to each view port, or if it is a global command when you run it.

G-man