Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Technical Issues (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Network maximize potential (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8305)

slickrenderer 08-10-2003 08:52 AM

Network maximize potential

OK I have dual CPU machine + I might get the option to use another single CPU spare machine . What can I do to utilize this other machine?

All cpus are Athlon 2000XP. The dual machine has a quadro card. the single CPU machine has a normal one.

I could model on the single CPU machine and render on the dual but that is silly as I have the quadro card on the dual machine.
I guess I could model on the dual and render on the single CPU machine. Plus use the dual for rendering when I leave for home.

What do I need to set up this "render farm"????? I have to network these 2 machines right? and then??
I have a network card on both machines. Do I just need a crossover cable?

kbrown 08-10-2003 09:21 AM

I would put the quadro in the single cpu machine since while you are working in the Maya GUI it uses only one processor no matter how many you have in the machine. While rendering you could take advantage of all processors but not for a single frame (don't know about Mental Ray though...). Say you have a 100 frame animation then you could render 34 frames on the single cpu machine and 66 frames on the dual cpu machine...

And yes, you need a NIC on both computers and a crossover cable is enough for two machines...

There are couple of applications for controlling the network rendering but you can do it manually too. Just learn how to initiate the batch rendering from windows command prompt; refer to the online docs for the details...

slickrenderer 08-10-2003 09:31 AM

SO same applies with my soon to arrive laptop. I could render on my home PC + the laptop by using a crossover cable.

**When I connect the crossover cable from my desktop to the PC what happens? Do I see the laptop under "My Computer" or do I have to do something else? My laptop will have WXP my desktop has W2k.
Thaks kb

Nataliia 08-10-2003 12:05 PM

You will need to have admin accounts on both machines, with everything (or just Maya) set to "shared," for the other one and actually log in to the each machine from the other. Confused yet? I think I confused myself.

WXP machine has admin account A and W2K has admin account B. You go to WXP machine and make a B account with password etc. Then go to W2K account and hit My Network, find WXP machine, dbl click, then log on with acount B. Rinse, repeat on W2K.

That's how we have to do the 3 machines we have at home for the printer that's on the one machines (we're hoping to set up a print server soon, though). But if anyone has an easier way to share stuff, then scream loudly :D

slickrenderer 08-10-2003 01:02 PM

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! Apple

tank2002 08-10-2003 01:54 PM

Hi,

If you have 3 pc's at the same time you can not use a crossover cable u need a HUB since crossover works for 2 machines only !!!!

And if ur NIC is 100mbps (thas the speed) then the hub should be a 100mbps otherwise ur connection speed will be 10mbps for all pc's

HTH

slickrenderer 09-10-2003 09:17 AM

Nataliia - Are you a girl??? :-) Tell us more about yourself. As you know this forum is dominated by MEN I want to know what made you jump into 3d.
The more females in 3d the beter :-) Keeps us men little bit civilized :-)

[icarus_uk] 09-10-2003 10:33 AM

I think youve got these forums mistaken with AOL chat rooms. These are for 3D discussion, not randomly hitting on members and asking "a/s/l wanna cyber?"

slickrenderer 09-10-2003 11:57 AM

I am innocent and married :-)$What is a/s/l ????

Nataliia 09-10-2003 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by slickrenderer
Nataliia - Are you a girl??? :-) Tell us more about yourself. As you know this forum is dominated by MEN I want to know what made you jump into 3d.
The more females in 3d the beter :-) Keeps us men little bit civilized :-)

hehe, yes, last time I looked I was female. I dunno about "girl" as I fear I left that behind quite a few years ago :D

Erm, lets see...I'm rapidly approaching 35, married, 1 kid, (hopefully) about to be gainfully employed as an IT Tech, and I've been clean and....<voice trails off> Oops! wrong "group" :bgreen:

Don't worry, Icky, you're my favorite cherub as always >smooch<

slickrenderer 09-10-2003 12:16 PM

>smooch< :-O IT tech hmm can you come and wire my PC...I mean network it :-)