Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Geometry disappears behind Image Plane (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9433)

Uglynakedguy 16-12-2003 11:33 AM

Geometry disappears behind Image Plane

Hi

I want to model using an image plane as background for the modeling.

It works fine putting on a image in the front and the side camera, and i can squeeze it back and forth in the attribute editor.

BUT - when i make my geometry, a sphere, and i try to wiev it in my 'side-wiev' it is ALWAYS behind the image plane!

I have tried to dolly the camera back and forth, turning of and on "fixed / looking through camera" - NOTHING :-( My Geometry is STILL behind the image plane!

What am i doing wrong?

Pony 16-12-2003 11:53 AM

move the image plane to the other side. You can do this whare you put the image in.

mtmckinley 16-12-2003 12:02 PM

I would recomend using geometry image planes rather than the camera-attached variety. Easier to handle.

Uglynakedguy 16-12-2003 12:03 PM

Hmm!

I am not sure i follow! I have posted the file on the same URL as before! Will u take a look it ?

http://konceptsalg.jubii.dk/rene/

// The Brother

3djoe 16-12-2003 12:34 PM

what mike says is to make poly plane then texture each plane with the reference image. then go to 6 shaded view and you can see the image then create a layer and reference it so you cant edit it when you have them moved into position.

Uglynakedguy 16-12-2003 12:39 PM

Yeah! I know! Thanks!

I did'nt reply on Mikes post, but Ponys post, and i still dont understand what he wants me to do :-)

But thank u for replying! I know it is the easiet way to do the 'image plane' --> to attach it to a Geometry Plane instead of the Camera.

HOWEVER - i don't understand why this problem occur and i HATE when i don't understand why problems occure.....!

:-)

3djoe 16-12-2003 12:48 PM

Ok I see.

I think he ment if you cant see the geometry behind the image plane you can move to the other side of the grid .

Go to the view you want to move the image plane and in the window select view/select camera then in the channel box select image plane and you will see a bunch of options move the image plane into position

center x,y,z

this way the geometry will not protrude thu te image and you wont see it.

Uglynakedguy 16-12-2003 12:57 PM

Hi 3djoe

Thanx again for replying :-)

BUT - that is excactly what i ment......no matter WHAT i do for centering the image plane in x, y and z, still the geometry is behind the image plane!

It is VERY weird - u could, if u want and have the time, try to download the "project-files" from the URL i have posted.

There u can see what is wrong and why i am so frustrated.

Thanx again :-)

Pony 16-12-2003 01:47 PM

sorry I wasn't more clear. 3djoe explained me very well though.. LOL

Uglynakedguy 16-12-2003 01:59 PM

Still cant figure it out --> look at the image

1 Attachment(s)
:banghead:

Hi guys!

It is not because i do not understand what u are saying - i do, i do :-)

BUT! Changing the x, y and z center does not solve my problem - i am sorry. ( I REALLY appriciate ur respons though )

SO! That is why i have uploaded this picture - so u can see what is going on in my .mb-file!

Take a look at it, plz :-)

mtmckinley 16-12-2003 02:36 PM

sounds like a video card issue.

3djoe 16-12-2003 02:37 PM

Ok I see your problem with the front view!

Got to the front view panel select

view/predefined bookmarks/
then select back or front and the view should change.

Uglynakedguy 16-12-2003 02:57 PM

The never ending story.......

Hi again 3djoe

I'm so so so so so sorry, but that did'nt solve my problem either :(

I can understand if you now choose to throw in the towel...:-)

Down below i will post two images - one with the bookmark as front, and one as back.

Again - thank u for replying! :-)

Uglynakedguy 16-12-2003 02:59 PM

Never ending story POST I ( front )

1 Attachment(s)
Bookmark >> Front

Uglynakedguy 16-12-2003 03:00 PM

Never ending story POST II ( back )

1 Attachment(s)
Bookmark >> back