Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Guitar Help (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15278)

alienscience 31-01-2005 11:32 PM

Guitar Help

1 Attachment(s)
I am starting a model on a guitar I'll try to post the pictures in this reply. I am looking for anything and every thing on how to do this project. Nurbs or Polygon's?, where to start?, all that good stuff. And by the way it is a tom delonge (blink 182) gibson. One last thing, I am mostly new to maya so what should I brush up on to make this guitar look like awsome (<--- bad use of grammer)

alienscience 31-01-2005 11:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
More pics

alienscience 31-01-2005 11:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Last one, sorry I couldn't figure out a way to print them all in one reply.

blomkaal 01-02-2005 08:33 PM

If you're new to Maya, I'd suggest using polys, but some (weird :) ) people prefer nurbs... It's a personal thing, but I think that the common opinion is that polys are easier to start off with than nurbs... I'd also recomend getting a good picture for reference, which means a picture as straight on as possible...

If you're willing to spend the dough, I think I saw a guitar tut over on SimplyLightwave.com. I think it was a Fender, but I'm sure the techniques can be used to model this instead...

alienscience 01-02-2005 11:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey, thx for the help but I started already. I am trying to use curves for the headstock. I have created the curve but now I need to close it off acording to the curve line. I have tried around with the surface options under the modeling menu set but haven't been able to fix it. I'll try to post a pic of my curve line.

DanaScully 02-02-2005 07:54 AM

im pretty newb when it comes to nurbs
but i belive you can use the Loft option to close off the sides.

Also, if you go into select by component and deselct "Select by Component type" and click on Select By parm points"

You can click and drag the yellow dot to each of the corners of you guitar head....once you have done this too all the corners where you would like to detach, select all the pieces again go to "edit curves>rebuild curve> options" and in the "Number of Spans" put 10 (or play aroun with this til you get it good, im still newb like I said so I am telling you by what I have done for some tutorial from a book I bought)
After Rebuilding, keep the curves selected and go to "Surfaces>Boundary"
This way you can fill up the top portion of the head.......I hope you understand me, i kindds suck at giving good written instructions.

I hope this helps, and if anyone can suggest something better....THANKS!! lol
Anyway good luck with that dude, i impatiently await this finished product.

oh and Blink ROCKS! :D

blomkaal 02-02-2005 03:08 PM

Yeah Loft is the way to go for the side of the head, just duplicate the curve, move it into position, and loft between them...

Not quite sure what Dana's trying to do, but I'd probably use a Planar Surface for the front and back of the head. And if you need to round off the edges I'd suggest using Fillet and Trim (check out the tut here for info about how to do it)

DanaScully 02-02-2005 04:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here are some pics....hpoe they better explain what I mean.

DanaScully 02-02-2005 04:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
sorry for the replies dunno how to attaach more than one image at a time

blomkaal 02-02-2005 04:51 PM

Ok now I get it, but if the curve is planar (= totally flat seen from the side) jeg can just use Surface -> Planar which will then create a trim surface, so no need for splitting... If they're not, they need to be split... I don't know too much about nurbs though...

alienscience 03-02-2005 12:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
When I use the trim tool, it dosen't follow the curves EXACTLY. Look at the circled parts they are not completely symmetrical(?). In my modeling screen the curve is symetrical but the plane goes over the curve but only in certain parts.( the red is from no symmetry and the blue is where it dosen't follow the curve EXACTLY. It also for some reason looks different when I am modeling it than it does when I actually render.

thx
-RYan

alienscience 03-02-2005 12:31 AM

OK, completely forget my recent post. I imported the top part into my other scene and now the problem seems to be fixed. Although the surface still goes outside of the curve when I render it it's seems to be alright. If I new how to take a snapshot of my workspace then I would (so if you know how plz tell me) and then show you my render.

DanaScully 03-02-2005 01:08 AM

above the INSERT key is the PRNT SCRN key......just paste it into any image editing sofware and save the jpeg.

also, give what i suggested a try. It was used in a tut to make an axe. I did the contour curve andused that method to "fill in" the void :D

mhcannon 03-02-2005 03:41 AM

The main body could be pretty easily done as a Nurbs surface extruded using bevel plus. The neck being long and straight is probably best suited to poly modeling. The head could go either way, my preference would be extruded polys.

If you haven't checked out bevel plus (a new NURBS function) your really missing out. Also, Mayas ability to stitch multiply NURBS surface together while coverting to polys is also very cool.

alienscience 03-02-2005 11:48 PM

Dana : Thx for the help but I still don't understand what you mean by "detaching".

Mchannon(?): Thx for the help also but when I try to use bevel plus on my curves, it says "Error: Cannot convert data of type string to type int[]"

Oh, right now I am going to work on the body. I am holding off on the headstock for right now, thats going to be a pain. I am going to use nurbs just for the f-holes, I thought those might be hard in polys.