Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   I'm new to Maya and I want to learn more (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21559)

The Forex Ferret 17-05-2006 01:43 AM

I'm new to Maya and I want to learn more

Hello everyone,

I work from home working for an online company where I spend most (a few hours tops) assisting customers with their issues related to trouble shooting specified appliactions from my laptop. On my time off (the remaining upteen hours or so left in my day) I have been spending monitoring the foreign exchange making a few pips here and there when the markets seems predictable.

As exciting as my days may seem, I need that challenge that MAYA seems to have 'drawn' me into (pun intended).

I spent a few hours last week at a local bookstore looking for something new and challenging. At first it was Swift 3D then some basic books on animation and cartooning, then I found many awesome books on MAYA, several versions, foundations, and more.

My question is this...before I fork out a few hundred $'s

Is MAYA the goto program for creating animation?

And if so, what is the learning curve from complete beginner to intenrmediate/advanaced learner?

My goal is to create an animated character that will be recognized on the net. I have the time, money and passion I just want to know what the learning curve is and what I'm about to get into before I committ and dive right in.

I'm looking to create something along the lines of ICE AGE, CRAZY FROG and JIMMY NEUTRON.

Can anyone poitn me into the right direction as I'm itchin.

Thanks in advance,

The Ferret

MattTheMan 17-05-2006 01:54 AM

well you can always download the tutorials from here and maya personal learning edition from the alias site

I'm self taught, but I have been using Maya for 2 years.

However, I did buy the Maya Character Animation book by Kae Kin Choe- GREAT reference. I recommend it.

The cartoon dog is a great tutorial for beginners.

And I own Maya unlimited for non commercial use for $250 a year.

This site is great for comments, and has good, supporting members that won't dis you for being newbie-ish.

The Forex Ferret 17-05-2006 02:08 AM

Thanks for the info. I'll look at the tutorials and make the most of what is available on this huge forum.

Glad to hear I won't be dissed for being newbish to maya...all in good time right? To learn not to be dissed although that can happen too if one doesn't watch what they do or say.

Thanks again Matt...you da Man

The Ferret

Ahnos 23-05-2006 01:31 AM

lots to learn but not too bad

I bought the program for a student price about 2 weeks ago and I have made some really cool stuff since. The Maya help files are great manuals. I just do a few chapters a day and then apply what i learn to my own projects.

Doing this plus browsing around for tutorials, I have been able to learn a lot fast.

good luck.

I believe many people use 3ds Max for modeling. It is a bit cheaper so maybe there is less of a learning curve (but I don't know). They are both a part of Autodesk now, I guess.

MattTheMan 23-05-2006 02:18 AM

I use 3ds Max for most of my inorganic modeling (like my interior, so I can get it exported to the Indigo Renderer). But organics- I can't leave Maya (unless it's to Silo, but my license is up :eek:)

The Forex Ferret 25-05-2006 02:47 PM

What about Swift 3D and Flash

Lots of help so far and many thanks for this helpful hand

The trouble I have right now is deciding what to purchase, as I've done several searches for 'tutorials' and added 'Flash', 'Maya' and 'Swift 3D' to finds lots of good information.

Many of them seems similar in context. I checked video.google.com and found a few good tutorials.

After reviewing the tutorials and signing up for the 'free material' the various website promote, I can't help but feel that (I'll definetly need to fork out the cash to some one, sometime soon)

My question is this. ..

I'm a newbie with no experience what so ever, but I do have time and a few bucks kicking around. Sure I could read a book and learn as I read or I could get a DVD or audio/eBook and follow along (my prefered choice) but...

What should I consider purchasing is my real question now.

Flash?
Maya?
Swift 3D?
Something else?

I'm leaning more towards a DVD combo pack of sorts. Learning everything I need to know and then some for a reasonable price.

Maya looks like the best but Flash seems to be the standard and Swift 3D from what I've been told is simple and easy to navigate.

In the meantime I'll be learning and observing the various animated/cartoonig and graphical programs out there, as I'm sure many of them exist.

Thanks again.

Regards,

The Ferret

Ahnos 25-05-2006 04:08 PM

Here is what I have

This is what I own that is relevant to you. I can't really comment on other things but I can tell you about how this works for me:

Adobe Production Studio
Maya 7 unlimited
Macromedia Studio MX

Flash:

First, Flash (included in Macromedia package) is good for websites and short animation/cartooning. You can make things only in 2-D but of course you can make it look 3-D with shadow effects and animation. To do the cool effects you see on most good Flash websites you will need to learn Actionscripting. THere is a moderate learning curve there for sure. My conclusion: good for website building.

Maya:

Maya obviously works in 3-D. From my limited knowledge and the advice of pros in tutorials, you can do a heck of a lot without ever learning the Maya MEL language. To me, following well-written tutorials I have been able to create some great things in Maya. The learning curve is only really figuring out the extensive menues. Once you've got that down, you can create to your hearts content. I am addicted to it.

One thing is that I would recommend you own Photoshop whatever other animation program you choose. You will need to map textures in Maya, or alter pictures extensively no matter what program you choose.

Maya unlimited includes add-on ability for Maya Fluid Effects; Maya Cloth; Maya Hair; Maya Fur, and Maya Live. These are great.

So: If you have the money, I would recommend you buy

1) Adobe photoshop
2) Maya 7 unlimited

As far as packages are concerned, it really depends on what you want to do: You can get Photoshop packages with Flash (Adobe Video Bundle) but these packages might be a little pricey and have too many other programs you may not need). Compare the packages at Adobe website.

I recently made a science animation and this is what I used: Maya to build the models > Photoshop to map the textures to the models > Maya to animate and render the animation > Adobe Premiere to take the rendered images from Maya and build a video file > Adobe Encore DVD with Photoshop to make a DVD menu and burn the whole thing to a DVD.

I am learning just like you....for may own enjoyment/interest.

Tutorials written and in video format abound for these programs.

Go Oilers!

mmoore5553 26-05-2006 02:37 PM

well I am self taught and if you are looking to learn maya i have found the tutorials are great on this site ..they teach you the basics ....also maya help files help alot ...one other source i found really helpful so far is for maya is digital tutors --basics 2nd edition ...that is really good for learning basics while making a model and then follow up with tutorials on this site ..teaches you alot ...of course if you learn by books there are alias books out there ...but i personally like video's so i can see and listen both ...

I am a beginner also ....still working on second project

balpoint 26-05-2006 05:53 PM

I'm also a beginner, and the free video tut's at 3d-buzz.com helped me out alot. They just explain al the basis and that kinda stuff. after finishing that i got here.

gster123 26-05-2006 06:57 PM

I think you really need to look at what you want to be doing with the software.

If you want to go full 3d and composite effects/objects and persons etc into real footage then I would go for Maya + Adobe AfterEffects and Adobe Photoshop as this should give you a sound basis for creating damm good SFX for films etc. (as at a push you can use After effects for film editing)

If 2d and simple 3d things for websites as well as spicing up websites than I would go for After effects, phoptshop and Flash as you can get good results using these.

As I said it all depends upon what you want.

(to be fair I think i'm a bit biased as used flash at uni for a year and it nearly drove me mad)

The Forex Ferret 08-06-2006 04:20 PM

Thanks to Everyone for your input

Well my trading has been doing well and I'm now back in the Maya world...weee!

Thanks again for everyones help and feedback.

I'm gun-ho for this and have taken into copnsideration what programs and apps that are required.

Flash Mx 2004, Photoshop and of course Maya 7 unlimited are on this years wish list. Maybe I'll trade a bit more and purchase what I need in afew months, maybe weeks who knows.

Thanks again,

I'll be around

The Ferret