Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   resetting IK Handles (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23296)

arran 25-09-2006 11:32 PM

resetting IK Handles

Hello - I have a quick question. If I have put my character into a pose and I want to put him back into the bind pose, how do I reset the IK Handles?

I understand that I have to go to modify>evaluate nodes>ignore to switch the IK handles off, which will allow me to put the skin back into bind pose, but how do I reset the IK handles to their original positions? When I evaluate the nodes the geometry just goes back into the position.

Would I have to freeze transformations on the manipulators so that I can just reset eveything to zero or is there another way?

Any help is much appreciated. :beer:

vladimirjp 26-09-2006 12:11 AM

i usually group the ik handles to itself. then take the pivot of the new group and place it where the effector of the is handle is. now i can simply 0 out the group, and i know ill be in the bind pose.
[also besure to turn on selection handle for the new group so its selectable in the viewport. under display menu]
good luck.

arran 26-09-2006 12:28 AM

thanks vladimirjp. I'll give that a shot.:beer:

arran 28-09-2006 03:22 AM

well I thought I understood this, but I must be doing something wrong cos I can't get it to work. Basically, I have an IKRP Solver connected to an arm skeleton. I have then created a hand manipulator, which is a nurbs circle snapped to the wrist and has been parent constrained to the IK handle and orient constrained wrist joint. I also have a locator which keeps the elbow pointing in the right direction.

As Vladimirjp suggested I have grouped the IK to itself and placed the pivot of the new group at the effector (which seems to be at the wrist).

However, when I move the Ik handle using the hand manipulator, the new group does not move with the rest of the hand, so I can't zero it out to reset the hand to bind pose.

Does that make sense? Probably not. Any help would be much appreciated.

arran 29-09-2006 03:30 AM

ok, I think I figured it out (if anyone else is actually interested) - I ended up grouping the hand manipulator and Ik handle together and then used the new group to move the hand and to reset it back to the bind pose. I guess before I was only grouping the IK handle.

vladimirjp 29-09-2006 09:59 AM

i think that might give you double transform prblems down the line.
the way you did it was right before.

you just needed then to point constrain the new group to the hand manip [u can point or parent constrain it]

arran 29-09-2006 10:10 AM

no problems so far, but I'll definitely look into it. thanks vladimirjp. :beer:

EDIT - just gave that a shot - didn't have much luck with the point constraint (it moved, but didn't rotate), but the parent constraint seemed to work fine. cheers!