Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Finished Work (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   First Project- Candy Cane room (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24063)

Zohar0 03-12-2006 06:14 PM

First Project- Candy Cane room

1 Attachment(s)
I just had gotten the PLE of maya 7.0 like 2 days ago.
(getting maya 8.0 soon) This program is really hard to learn. I mean its not easy but some of these tutorials on hear and some other sites really motivated me and got me through. Well I actually made something, a candy cane (used a tutorial from digital tutors) and then I thought to post that on simply Maya would be boring. So I made a room. I just put some plains on and added a door and a table. Not much detail because I haven't gotten there yet. I'm really excited to show this even thoe it doesn't look all that great. It's the first thing I have made in Maya that I like. I did basic human form and I'm holding that off for a bit :). Anyways the rendering ain't that great. I don't know how to render all that much so I just did the lighting option where you light up a area. Then I made it so the candy cane is the center of attention. The texturing I got off some sites thoe it is not easy to texture because it has to look good which I don't know how to do yet really so I just added some random textures that looked fine :bandit: So hear it is, enjoy. Please comment and feedback I'd appreciate it.

enhzflep 04-12-2006 05:36 AM

Cool! Not bad for two days after recieving the software. Guess you're new to 3d too, so that's even better.

I notice there's no shadows, rendering a little difficult to tell if the candy cane's on the floor or above it.

No big deal.

Lol, after my first 2 days I'd had a crack at most of the tutes that come with it, and was almost kinda, nearly happy with my Humpty Dumpty in the egg-cup and my super-organic looking hammer.:rolleyes:

Just outta curiosity, does the PLE logo screen always apear in the same spot or is it dynamic, moving position each render?

I mean, if it always stayed in the same spot then I guess you could do some renders with a full black screen and with a full white screen. From these two pics it shouldn't be too hard to create and save a selection in photoshop, based on the marred pixels. Then for each image you just load the selection, apply whatever needs doing (Luminance down or whatever, I guess) and voila! A better looking image.

Couldn't make the image flawless, but it'd be much nicer on the eyes..

Zohar0 04-12-2006 10:24 AM

:) Humpdy Dumpdy. And it appears in the same spot (the watermark) unless you move angles the water mark will be there but you can see under the watermark in a different angle. Would be hard to edit in photoshop with like 10 different images all different angles :P. But my buddy is coming over sometime soon to get maya 8.0 working on this computer. Also If its ok I have a question for anyone hear. When I want to save the image I go to the clipboard white and black like what they use in the movies on the top right. The very right one out of the three. Then I go to file>save image then save as a Tiff then go to Photoshop and save as a jpeg. If I did it right why is it such low quality and so small. On a site called deviant art I was looking at some peoples work and they used the Maya and a program called Mental Ray. I don't know how they got it so big and such high quality because mine I can zoom in on it and its all pixelated etc. But theirs it looks all clean and nice. Also I searched for mental ray on alot of sites and I don't see where to get it. It's not on iso hunt either. I don't know if I'm allowed to talk about that so sorry if I'm not. Also thanks I'm glad you like it. Well I really want to get into 3d art so I watched like 8 hours of tutorials because it's really really stressful starting this program and its very annoying when something doesn't work. But I'm glad some sites like SimplyMaya help enable me to make projects.

MattTheMan 04-12-2006 01:41 PM

Hey, and welcome to the 3d world :)

The watermark has to stay in Maya to keep it legal, until you fork over an unreasonably large amount of money for the full program (this is my own opinion, and I am one of those that did it anyway ;))

Still, I remember my first stuff with PLE, and, frankly, after 2 days MayaPLE.exe was somewhere in the recycle bin ;).

Mental Ray is a rendering software, a program that takes what models you make and renders them in high quality at arbitrary resolutions, the sky's the limit. Mental Ray does come with every shipped version of Maya. It's a very powerful tool that takes a very long time to master, but is very efficient. I am not a master at Mental Ray, so I use alternate renderers, programs that do the same thing as Mental Ray. Still, what work you've shown is very very good for 2 days in.

:beer:

Cheers and welcome again to Simply Maya :)
-Matt

Zohar0 04-12-2006 01:43 PM

Thanks matt. I heard that I should wait some time before rendering. Start out modeling things, get good with that then move to texturing, animating then rendering. So rendering is going to take a while :) And yeah Maya is very stressfull I would have deleted the program like you lol but I wanna get into 3d modeling alot.

gster123 04-12-2006 07:31 PM

I used the PLE for ages before I got my copy of maya, needed to save up, you can enable mental ray if you go to the plug in manager, think its limited to something like 512 x 512 pixels in the PLE though.

You can cheange the resolution of your images into whatever you want (but agian I think its limited to 1024 in the PLE) in the render globals, have a look in there, I think the default value it 640 x 480.

If you render an animation the watermark moves slightly from frame to frame to stop you removing it with filters, again keeping it legal. You get used to it in the end to be honest, and well its free!!

If I was you I would look into getting used to the software render, you can get some really great results with it (have a look at the Maya rendering book, some great examples of how powerful it is in there) by applying reflection maps, raytracing etc.

Looking forward to seeing your porgress.

Cheers

Zohar0 04-12-2006 11:58 PM

Yeah you're right. I can change it to 1024 now thanks! I guess I'm going to wait for rendering since I cant even model but now I know :). Also the rendering book for maya could help. Ill go check it out some time. Also I am getting maya 8.0 from a friend who is going to help put it on since I'm having trouble getting it on. And thanks for the help :)