Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   how to make a poly brake disc (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34191)

Joey81 26-06-2010 05:11 PM

how to make a poly brake disc

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Guys!

I need to build a drilled & "crossed" polygonal brake disc for a car. i did one, but i am not satisfied with the result. It had to be detailed. I want to make some really close shot. Like going through the hole..

thx

joey

Jay 26-06-2010 07:18 PM

why dont you post up what you did before and get some crit to improve it??

J

Joey81 26-06-2010 07:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is what i end up with
i ll link another in 1sec :)

Joey81 26-06-2010 07:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ve little bumps if i make the smooth view :( & on close it looks terrible

Joey81 26-06-2010 08:13 PM

hmmm it would be good not to start all over again. I 'm sure its a possibility to repair the bumps....
but how?
add more resolution ? or

Jay 26-06-2010 08:37 PM

No its a good start mate. I think by starting again is a waste of what is here. Edit the mesh by going around it and tidying it up. You can probably get rid of the geometry thats causing the bumps. Its a tricky object to do, you could have used booleans but you didnt and for me doing it this way is better. Booleans have their uses but not where Im from LOL.

Just keep tweaking it until its right, you may need to add geo or take some out depending on where you edit. You can always do the one side anyway and then dupe it over and fill the spaces manually to save doing both sides.

If you look at the wire frame image you can see where the 'dinks' are you just need to pull them about.

Jay

Joey81 26-06-2010 10:19 PM

thanks jay
This object Is a kind of nightmare for me. I tried to delete 5/6part & do only from angle 0-60 & than duplicate it... Its pretty heavy to do it on low res. I dont want to end up at 1million (not more than 200.000) On a detailed car i bet that ll be 3m.... (interior too)

Joey81 27-06-2010 01:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
here is what i end up with... better, much better

bullet1968 27-06-2010 10:22 AM

jjeeeezzzzzzzzz mate that looks complicated!!! well done though mate...good start

cheers bullet

Joey81 27-06-2010 01:03 PM

thx bullet.
i need to be detailed. On a car how can you be different? Where can I be a little bit more? I think maybe the interior & the brake/suspension/wheel can add a little plus.
What do you think, if you finish a not extremly detailed (but detailed) car model. How many tri is Too much? 5million, 10m?

bullet1968 27-06-2010 01:27 PM

Mate Im a real noob...only 5 months into this sorcery!!! LOL

As a Surveyor...well my meshes for terrain have to have minimum detail..enough for the model. BUT they also have to have enough to define features on the landscape.

I have (as we speak) 39 000 on my Me-262 and Im really only 20 % done...times 5 = 200 000 there abouts. Depends on how much detail I will put in.

Google some 3D models for sale/hire they usually have the poly count in the description.

If its not a truly visible component..then I would reduce its complexity as much as you can. The disc is high detailed as in most modern cars they are visible. If its strictly for your own purpose and not for work...do as little as you can but still make it legible if you know what I mean??

Things I think (some of the Elders might know more??) like brake lines etc you could omit? disc pads as simple as pos..etc etc..know what I mean.

The mistakes I made (and still do) is put too much detail onto components that dont really need it.

What you have done so far is good BUT now you are thinking "bugger..poly count!" LOL. Play with it a bit more and try to reduce it if you can. The trouble with circles? they flatten when you add to them..LOL I tried to replicate yours but it kept getting pulled out of shape (with only minimal poly). You are doing well..Im watching..keep posting

cheers bullet

Joey81 28-06-2010 12:08 AM

thx for the tips. i checked a lot sites... There re a lot fake number..... but usually they use 50, 100-200.000
I wont ve so less 4 sure :) i try my best but wont spen hours with deleting edges..

Joey81 28-06-2010 06:05 PM

-

i noticed something... 110.000 if i push the "1" & if i smooth with button 3 than 1.8m..... but that looks much nicer

How do you build the plane? Do you choose the smooth option "3" ?

bullet1968 28-06-2010 09:33 PM

No mate,

I build in low poly and smooth preview option 3 to see what it looks like, then revert back to low poly.

I use the smooth 3 just to see what it will look like and to see if there are any weird things happening in the mesh.

The beauty of the smooth preview is if you save you havent baked it like the older Maya!

It gives you the chance as you work to fix errors that you wouldnt see until you smoothed it properly. I used to use the proper smooth function but it was painful..if you forget to UNSMOOTH it was baked like that and it isnt funny (though it is).

cheers bullet

post some pics of your progress mate

daverave 28-06-2010 10:30 PM

Hi Joey81
I know you are trying to model this but you could use a noral map, to create it by using the nvidea normal map plug in for photoshop.....dave