Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   animation sequence (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26400)

banksta 29-05-2007 07:43 PM

animation sequence

I want to attempt to make a cartoon character and have him come sitting down in a living room already made and then have him looking around paranoid through the room as I use sound effects to make it seem like somethings in the house. I also will have a tv going then cut off, because a storm is coming and lighting will be out the window and will strike a tree and split it. The character will jump off the couch and onto the floor. I have not made the character yet, and I need to know in your opinion can I make a 1 minute piece with camera movements and all the other elements I mentioned in two weeks. Or should I just do it without the character because of the time limit.

Perfecto 29-05-2007 07:55 PM

Hi banksta,
Seems like a lot of work for 2 weeks. I've only done two characters, the basic human form tutorial by Kurt and then one on my own and I will say that modeling a character can be real time consuming unless you're already experienced at it. The other issue will be that to animate him, you will have to rig him. That means alot of weight painting to get him to animate without a bunch of deformity. I'm not saying it can't be done in two weeks, but unless you've got a little experience, I think two weeks might be pushing it a little.

With that said, I'd recommend doing your project initially without the character then if time permits, work on adding the character in. This way, you're more guaranteed to have a finished product at the end of two weeks whether or not you finish the character.

wasatch5_sparticus 29-05-2007 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Perfecto
Hi banksta,
Seems like a lot of work for 2 weeks. I've only done two characters, the basic human form tutorial by Kurt and then one on my own and I will say that modeling a character can be real time consuming unless you're already experienced at it. The other issue will be that to animate him, you will have to rig him. That means alot of weight painting to get him to animate without a bunch of deformity. I'm not saying it can't be done in two weeks, but unless you've got a little experience, I think two weeks might be pushing it a little.

With that said, I'd recommend doing your project initially without the character then if time permits, work on adding the character in. This way, you're more guaranteed to have a finished product at the end of two weeks whether or not you finish the character.

That is a TON of work for two weeks. I had five months to learn how, build skin and rig a human face. Hope all goes well.

Sparticus

banksta 30-05-2007 12:44 AM

thats what I was thinking guys. I have done a total of two characters the whole time I have been modeling, and only have rigged and animated one of them, thats was months ago. I think I will just build on to the environment and render out cameras. Thanks for your input.

banksta 30-05-2007 12:45 AM

by the way does anyone have any links to any short 1 -2 minute animations that use just environment and cameras to drive the mood.

happymat27 30-05-2007 05:15 AM

I made THIS for my second year character animation module. It's only about 40 seconds long and it took a couple of months in total to make, modelling, texturing, rigging, animating, tweaking, solving any problems, tweaking a bit more and finally 3 days solid to render.

You really have your work cut out to get something done in 2 weeks!

Good luck,

Mat.

publicFunction 30-05-2007 06:04 AM

Is it you or a client that has set the time scales?

2 Weeks is doable for a studio, but not for a single person. Sorry to say there is no way you will get anything completed in 2 weeks.

I agree with the comment stating, work on the environment, get the effects set up and timed and then worry about the character. The character animation alone would take over 2 weeks to get right...

Renogatiate your time scales!!!

banksta 30-05-2007 07:56 AM

thanks guys I will work on the environment and the effects like you said.

marlonjohn 01-06-2007 07:44 AM

"Sorry to say there is no way you will get anything completed in 2 weeks."

Maybe you could do it in 2 weeks, though without sleep and food ;) just kidding, yeah i agree with chris it sounds kind of impossible unless you really work really really, really hard at it.

I suggest you create the environment and move on from them... that way you have something to atleast work from.

goodluck,

marlon