Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Border Edge Problem When Extruding (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19566)

Nusirilo 22-12-2005 09:46 PM

Border Edge Problem When Extruding

1 Attachment(s)
Well, as I said in my other thread, I have gone back to an earlier base mesh version of my human model. So far, it was totally worth it, except for one problem. For some reason, when I was extruding the neck, some of the edges/vertices did not stay together (even though I have the keep new faces planar and together options checked). If you download the file, and I would love it if you could, and turn on border edges, you will see what I am talking about by the neck. If anyone could fix this or tell me how to fix it, I would greatly praise you, as I could finally get back to modelling as per normal.

Thanks in advance.

Pyrus 22-12-2005 11:25 PM

Edit Polys / Merge Verts : value of 0.01 (mine by default when mergin' after a combine)

ps : for your previous problem, the first action after combining polys is, also, a Merge Verts (i also select the central vertical line of verts in the front view if i'm not sure about the value, in case of high poly modeling e.g.)

The point is up here, if you don't merge verts, you keep the invisible duplicated edges, so the open edges.
After combining and merging, set these edges defined by the same line of verts, as being soft edges (Edit Poly / Normals / Soften-Harden). This removes the crease.

Therefore, you understand now there's no need to Soften-Harden before mergin' verts << Open edges stay "Hard" ;)

Nusirilo 23-12-2005 01:41 AM

Well, about the merging vertices, I definitely knew about that, and did that all around the edges (and there were actually a few vertices that were not attached for some unknown reason.) However, this still didn't solve the problem, as the border edges through the neck are still visible and I can't convert the model into subds.

EDIT: If anyone wants to just go into Maya and fix it for me, I'll pay them 2 whole dollars :O hehe. But seriously, it would probably be best if you looked at the file, even if you don't work on it, to see exactly the problem I'm referring to.

Pyrus 23-12-2005 11:20 AM

Okay sorry dude I missed some part it seems.

Well, the final solution to your problem is that you still got non manifold edges >> means some face-normals are outwards your model, and some are inwards. Creating a disturbing polys topology that can't be transformed in SubD.

Polygon >> Cleanup : activate only "Nonmanifold geometry" checkbox . Cleanup Button.

Then, you're back to SubD ;)

ps : I don't know your level, so sorry if I write down too much details you already know, it's another habit willing to tell all without dropping the details.

Cheers :beer:

Nusirilo 23-12-2005 01:38 PM

Mucho gracias man ;) For some reason, I had to clean it up, merge all the vertices again, and then clean it up again. The first time I cleaned it up and tried to convert it, it changed all of the neck faces into something similar to what you would see if you were to use the polygon faces command when it was a polygon. Nonetheless, it seems to be working now, so thank you very much, man!