Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Ben Hobden - Horror Challenge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34334)

ben hobden 13-08-2010 10:33 AM

Ben Hobden - Horror Challenge

1 Attachment(s)
Okaaaayyy...been looking forward to this.

To start things off, I'm gonna post a couple of images I found which Im thinking of taking inspiration from. Im torn between making a 100% (or largely) Maya scene, or using this challenge to further learn some Z-Brush and Maya workflow. There are some techniques for rendering passes out of Zbrush which Ive read about before but never tried myself so I might use this challenge to experiment with those. Also, Ive only made a couple of 'character' pieces before, both very simply presented and both in classic/horrible T-Pose. So the two month deadline will give me a good time period to create a decent base cage in Maya, then sculpt up in Zbrush, and then try and get whatever I come up with, back into Maya for some decent lighting and presentation, or maybe render straight out of Zbrush if I can.

This may change, but my intitial thoughts have been along these lines.

From the following two images: I love the presentation and style/tone/look/feel of this first image, which is something I might try to replicate.

I also really like the form of the front hand in the second image, looking at it makes me want to sculpt it myself, so my first idea is to create some scary looking guy, with the pose of the second image, presented in the style of the first.

ben hobden 13-08-2010 10:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
and this is the one with the hand I like.

daverave 13-08-2010 10:50 AM

I do like the look of the first one Ben........dave

ben hobden 13-08-2010 10:54 AM

It's nice isnt it. It looks to me like its just a simple Blinn or Phong like shader, with most of the colouring work being done by the lighting. I imagine that the model itself uses a displacement map, which is always a pain, so if I go down this route - and if I get a good enough base mesh - and if I get a good enough sculpt - getting a render this good will be v hard. Be a good experiment for me though I think.

bullet1968 13-08-2010 11:23 AM

The first one is so cool ben.....I like it!!!! You wouldnt believe this...driving home tonight..I thought 'what would I do if in this comp?'. Bugger me dead I thought of a zombie/animal coming out of a swamp/mud in attack pose VERY similar the the 2nd pic...talk about creepy and Fri 13th as well...LOL.

Yoiks bullet

ben hobden 13-08-2010 11:28 AM

! didnt realise it was friday the 13th. what a day to start this. it was meant to be!

bullet1968 13-08-2010 11:43 AM

Seeing Im in the future...so to speak...yes a good day!!! Rain, storms....then eerily blue skies...now storms just as the night falls. Good Zombie weather!! LOL go you good thing....buy a lotto ticket!!!:beer:

ben hobden 13-08-2010 11:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I think you got me with your swamp idea

bullet1968 13-08-2010 12:32 PM

I dig it man....I dig it!!!!

more more more bahahaha love it

bullet1968 13-08-2010 12:38 PM

Something like a Dagobah swamp yeh??? Not all water but not quite land.....something nasty lurking in the forest?

ben hobden 13-08-2010 02:49 PM

We'll see. Got some other ideas for the background also, but as itll be seperate from the character itll depend how much time I have ...IF I can get the character done right.

gster123 15-08-2010 09:30 AM

Hi Ben

Looking firward to seeing the development of this!

Steve

ben hobden 17-08-2010 10:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Made a start on the base mesh. I keep thinking of Jay's ball-chinean (!) character from his Outlaw's Tales wip thread. The toplogy of it, and in particular the hand. I'd like to try and take this base mesh to that kind of level, particularly in the hand area. Whether it needs it or not, I still dont have the amount of experience to judge I dont think, but, that's my rough plan. Will post wires when it gets a bit further in. Should be able to put a few hours in over the next couple of days.

bullet1968 18-08-2010 12:13 AM

Good start mate....Im looking forward to this.

cheers bullet

ben hobden 18-08-2010 03:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I]There's[/I] some pressure for me, Bullet.

This is a quick wip while I take a break and refill my caffeine.