Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Finished Work (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   German u-boat (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11667)

foo1971 02-05-2004 07:02 AM

German u-boat

1 Attachment(s)
Still at early stages , with the cannon to be completed and dynamic wire running from the connin tower to the front and back

ransick 02-05-2004 11:39 AM

I like the texture on the boat but If you are going for the realistic scene ? It just doesn't look right to me....

first.. the boatfront is too high! I think you will never be able to see such a low point off the boatfront because the boat will dance with the waves and therefor the front will go down...more in the sea....
second...the sea..does look real...but it still has a plastic look..

I like the scene tough! the foge, big waves, rusty ship...keep on going!

btw... if you are in your early stages ? how come you place it in finischedforum ?

MainlineX 02-05-2004 05:24 PM

Yeah..nice texturing...Looks great so far!

train_ucl 02-05-2004 05:31 PM

like the model, but yes - scene sucks ;) ...

but model very nice !

i would understand the "early stages" that the scene doesn´ t matter anyway

foo1971 03-05-2004 03:52 AM

thx for the replies fellas
im new to this site and i just stuffed up
lol
will not do again though
8meg bmp unwrapped on the hull, it looks good in other renders, just a test render at the moment i spose, i have a spit fire that still needs some modellling and then texturing and rigging.
The spitfire will come accross the u-boat at sea and have a sortie with the sub.
All for my show reel for this year

ZaGeTo 03-05-2004 10:50 AM

wow man i would give you 9 of 10!! i would give you 1 more if you do a nice sky with lightning and so!
But nice work =)

dragonsfire 03-05-2004 03:38 PM

Nice model :)

DrRobotnik 04-05-2004 09:30 PM

ooooh very nice! Ocean looks great.

Alan 11-05-2004 02:41 PM

Quote:

8meg bmp unwrapped on the hull
please tell me you're kidding ;) you're not using a bmp for a texture right?

Apart from that if you start adding little details like ropes ect it will be very cool then you can work on the scne itself.

Alan

foo1971 15-05-2004 08:10 AM

texture issues

Thx for the post , Ive always seen in tutorials to use bmp , so I hadnt really though too much about the file type.
I havent really ever used tiffs or tga for colour/difuse as ive always used them in regards to their alpha channel for transparency.
Any feed back on file types that are best to use in maya will be greatly appreciated and heeded, as Im a keen learner .

Once again many thx

Ben:) :alien:

pixelmonk 18-05-2004 09:54 AM

Re: texture issues

Quote:

Originally posted by foo1971
Thx for the post , Ive always seen in tutorials to use bmp , so I hadnt really though too much about the file type.
I havent really ever used tiffs or tga for colour/difuse as ive always used them in regards to their alpha channel for transparency.
Any feed back on file types that are best to use in maya will be greatly appreciated and heeded, as Im a keen learner .

Once again many thx

Ben:) :alien:

I typically use TGA files for most things. It's flexible enough to create either 24 or 32bit files (for alphas)

Techi 18-05-2004 01:29 PM

lol forgot my coment.

i realy love the boat - but with the ocean looking the way it does it kinda looks like computer game graphics (which isnt a bad thing), you could do with making it look like its a bit rough, it sort of reminds me of mint kitkat wrappers, but again the boat is awsome.

i have always read to use bmp too untill you are happy then convert the file type. altgough tiff has been mentioned also, but can have the same file size problem.

dae 20-05-2004 02:10 PM

Just two crits,
one: nothing is wrong with the U-boat (just a few thing missing ie: big gun on the bow, ropes and cables that sort of thing, these can be added later anyway), all thats wrong is that it is sitting to high in the water.

two: if ocean doesn't look deep enough to fix this just change the primary colour to a darker marine blue colour, there is also to much specularity on the waves.

good luck with that spitfire and the rest of the scene.

Dae

ckyuk 22-05-2004 09:14 AM

The thing that really stands out to me is the bow is too high in the water.

EDIT: - For such a stormy sea the water looks very clear and i think it would look better if it was a bit darker.

Also aswell as the big waves how about some smaller waves licking the side of the hull.

septentrio 29-05-2004 11:59 AM

Foo1971, will you let a spitfire take off by such a weather ?