Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   More Fun With Low Poly Organic (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30119)

99GsTurbo 10-06-2008 05:39 PM

More Fun With Low Poly Organic

1 Attachment(s)
Im still tryign to get used to making organic low poly characters so I decided to model me but then decided to change him a bit...well big bit..im thinkin more of a pretty boy gangsta cop gone bad type character.........im still working on the other project but man, i dont know how i want to texture it..lol i went into it with an idea of how its goings to be modeled but not textured lol..o well, heres what I have so far...

I am making sun glasses for him right now and don't know if i should give him a bandanna or a hat. also, hes going to have long braids but now sure how to do that part yet.

99GsTurbo 10-06-2008 05:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
wire 2

99GsTurbo 10-06-2008 05:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
and uv....

Joopson 10-06-2008 06:16 PM

is it meant to be realistic or exaggerated.... if realistic, lower the eyes.

99GsTurbo 10-06-2008 06:18 PM

its supposed to be realistic but i used my picstures for references.....i dont know if maybe the camera gave it too much perspective or not....or maybe it wasnt directly a side shot lol..... Thanks Joops....cheers

Joopson 10-06-2008 06:42 PM

well, look in a mirror than, because i am thinking this based on "ideal" proportions (the kind most 3D models of heads are made based on) which tend to have the eyes exactly in the middle of the head. but, this isn't always true.

so going on based on your reference should be fine.
cheers,
-Andy

BTW, your website isn't working, it comes up as http://www.ericmattiosn.com/
so i figured, its probably supposed to be: http://www.ericmattison.com/
which didn't work either, haha

Mayaniac 10-06-2008 07:59 PM

Hey, this looks pretty good! There's a few little problems with proportions, and also the geo in places could be collapsed/ redirected... Nothing too bad ;)

I was working on Low-Poly characters for awhile, about 8 months ago for a small Unreal Mod that died (sigh..) , but anyway.. during that time I collected a bunch of references form, wire frames images of models, to photo references, to orthos. So let me know if your interested, and I can zip some stuff up for ya, and send it your way!

Anyhow, nice work so far!

velociraptor1 13-06-2008 09:19 AM

So the master of unfinished projects strikes again :P its looking pretty good turbo just make sure you finish it or you'll be disrespected by sea-plane pirates forever. kutgw ^^

Some Guy 13-06-2008 11:43 AM

This is looking good

I don't think that you should just lower the eyes because that would make it to close to the tip of the nose.
From what i am seeing i reckon that the ears may need to be a bit higher up but the whole face needs to be lower. Try raising the ears so the tip is level with the top of the eyes and lowering the whole face down.

99GsTurbo 13-06-2008 03:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Joopson: I attached a file...as you can see, i did end up lowering the eyes....you were correct. I was kinda useing my photos as a reference but not an image plane so when i aligned it up, the eyes were too high.

Ohh yea, my website is down. Its ericmattison.com but its in the process of being remade and i havent paid my host yet. I will in 2 weeks. Cheers

Mayaniac: Hey man, if you can get me those references, that would be awesome. ejmattison@yahoo.com .... I hate organic lol i always have and always will because im not good at it but anything to help lol...

Velociraptor1: I know right...but I will have 3 compelte projects soon lol just wait lmao....well i have no choice or I dont graduate because I need 3 peices for my reel for my portfolio class lol. So I think im goign to use this, the other low poly dude and the skyline.....hehe cheers

Some Guy: I attached an image so you can see the proportions im using. Dont mind the nose...i hate my nose..it sticks up like a pigs snork so i decided to model someone elses nose thats why its not alinged...but i used half of mines and half of someone elses...

well heres an update with the eyes lowered as joopson pointed out and the ears a bigh higher a Some Guy pointed oout

99GsTurbo 13-06-2008 03:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
heres a front shot...wire is still being worked on

99GsTurbo 13-06-2008 03:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
and a side shot...so the face is just reaching about 1100 tris..i want this to be a total of around 300- - 3500 k

gster123 13-06-2008 03:51 PM

Looks like you could get away with removing the tris on the eye's, just to keep them to a minimum.

Mayaniac 13-06-2008 06:05 PM

E-mail sent...

Organics are a pain to get a hang of (I still haven't) :confused:

But with enough practice..... you never know

I suggest checking out other peoples work to see what they are doing, and also to pick up better methods.

Jay, has some rather nice character models on his site.

99GsTurbo 13-06-2008 07:05 PM

well again this is going to be low poly and I'm aiming for 3k tris so I'm not too worried about having tris since game models are nothing but tris....just rather thens the right time to use tris and the best way to reduce polys and still get a good model without having to rely soley on your painting program.........

btw...i received your email...thanks bro