Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   SNAP (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4215)

englar 26-02-2003 02:52 PM

SNAP

1 Attachment(s)
Hi guys once again :D! I'm having a problem in snaping!! I'm used to modeling in AutoCad and i can snap everything i want to help me obtain the most perfect effect! In Maya i'm having some problem with it and its slowing my work :(! In the picture below i show you 2 specific situations:
1 - snaping the that corner of the surface to the polygon is easy but how can i make the inverse? Snap the surface point to the edge?

2- I need to split that surface at that point and -90ยบ direction, how can i do it?

Sorry guys im used to do everything perfect in AutoCad and taking the first steps in Maya!!:rolleyes:

Thx alot in advance:)

undseth 26-02-2003 04:06 PM

1) This is a thing I've wondered about for some time, and I assume you want accuracy.

There is no problem to snap to a curve/edge. You can try snapping via one axis (locked to an axis-up/down).

Select your object to move...
Right klick your targetobject, and go into vertice mode for that object...

Press "v" to snap to vertice, but MMB klick the "arrow", to start "axis lock", then simply drag your cursor over to a vertice on the target object... This will position your initial object to the same height as your target object.

You can also use the "intersect curve tool", to put "points" on edges, but I'm not sure if this is needed in your work. btw, you have to turn history OFF in order to work with this tool.

mtmckinley 26-02-2003 05:29 PM

If you're trying to split, you have to make sure you are selecting edges of the same shape to split through... you can't split between different objects using the Split Polygon Tool.

englar 26-02-2003 08:16 PM

Thx for your reply guys but concerning the split polygon tool, i know that i need to be in edge mode to use it :D, but the problem here is how can i split that edge at the point nere it! Dont forget that the point is from a diferent shape!

Thx ;)

mtmckinley 26-02-2003 08:21 PM

It's a little difficult to tell exactly what is going on in your scene. I don't suppose you can attach the .mb?

englar 26-02-2003 11:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok Mike here it goes! maybe after you seeing the file you can help me! Thx a lot Mike;)
Ill send you a pm with the pass!

mtmckinley 27-02-2003 04:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I think one of the major hinderances in your scene is how it is all built with different pieces... You might want to think about a more efficient construction method.

Well, here's what I did, if I understand what you're trying to do correctly:

englar 27-02-2003 01:42 PM

Hey thanks a lot Mike i think that tip will solve my problem and many others that would appear along my work! :beer:

englar 27-02-2003 03:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok here one last doubt: i want to move that point at x axis to be align wit the second one becausei want the first point to belong to the face's plan (in red)! Ive tryed the to do that with the tips that you guys gave me but i must doing something rong:banghead:

mtmckinley 27-02-2003 04:20 PM

Select the point.

Hold V key for point snap.

Instead of dragging the central move handle, instead click and select the X direction arrow. Middle Mouse click and drag on the vertice you want to align with (marked 2).

englar 27-02-2003 08:06 PM

Ok Mike thx a lot, i was draging on vertice with the LMB instead of the MMB :D