Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Professor Pose (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24167)

mpicone 11-12-2006 01:36 AM

Professor Pose

1 Attachment(s)
I'm modeling this character in preparation for animating. I'm a novice and have done a few other simple characters. This is my first attempt with clothing (lab jacket). I'm trying to get that " The Incredibles" look to my character. I enjoy doing character development. I have a few others I can post if anyone wants to see them, let me know.

Thanks,
Mark

NeoStrider 11-12-2006 01:48 AM

i really enjoy the style of the character and the color scheme, they work really really well. only thing that bugs me is the size of the glasses... i know they go with the style, but seeing how his eyes are narrow compared to the face and then seeing really large glasses, i feel it kinda detracts from what the character is supposed to be, and gives him more of a clown-like feel.

mpicone 11-12-2006 02:37 AM

Smaller Glasses!

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Thanks,

I appreciate your opinion. I changed it and I agree with you. I like it much better.

Mark

NeoStrider 11-12-2006 02:51 AM

yes, much better. wonderful.

mpicone 11-12-2006 03:20 AM

Thanks

Gonna work on the facial rig next.

By the way, I'm in Cleveland too.

erictacti 11-12-2006 05:25 AM

Yeah, I think NeoStrider was right on the money. It looks much better now that you changed the glasses to better suit his face. He looks like a really fun character, and with such a cartoonish, expressive face, he should be a blast to animate. Were you going to use BlendShapes, or a complex facial rig?

As far as the overall look, I'd say he has more of a 'Jimmy Neutron' look than an 'Incredibles' look. I'm not saying it is a bad model at all, as it is quite the contrary. What I'm saying is he has that cartoony look to him like Jimmy, instead of the exaggerated humanesque feel of the Incredibles, IMHO. Maybe it's the brightness of the colors, too. If they were toned down a bit, and a more realistic look was added, I think you'd get the Incredibles look. But, if you're satisfied with the look it has now, then sweet. You've got a great model there, and as I said, it looks like it's gonna be awesome to animate. I'm just giving you an opinion on the Incredibles look. Just a thought.

I can't wait to see the progress!

NeoStrider 11-12-2006 05:38 AM

another thing that screams 'jimmy neutron' is the hair... the incredibles used actual hair simulations, whereas you've got the stylized 'hair cap' going on... which i still thinks works great. as long as you give him personality in your animations, the modeling choices don't really matter all that much.

erictacti 11-12-2006 05:51 AM

Well said, Neo.

starjsjswars 11-12-2006 06:01 AM

Jimmy neutron > all. Good luck with it cant wait to see more.

petrol 11-12-2006 06:26 AM

Labcoat looks cool - maybe add a breast pocket. And by that I mean a pocket on the breast of the coat, as opposed to a pocket you pull titties from :alien: and maybe even put a pen in there.

Either that or instead of like normal specs, you could give him some of those squarer sciency eye protector glasses, if you know what I mean? I think for me the character needs to be an 'obvious' professor, rather than maybe say a kid in his dads work shirt :) People may or may not agree, just a couple of ideas anyway. Cool model though :)

mpicone 11-12-2006 06:43 AM

Thanks

- I'm gonna add that to the coat, I'm looking at some Professor reference and that makes good sense. And you're right, it does look more like the Neutron characters, that type of hair is out of my league right now.

- I got my hands on a video tutorial that teaches Facial Rigging using blend shapes which I'm excited to start on.

- Here are 3 animations I recently worked on. They're my first attempts at the walk cycle and squash and stretch.

I used Flash.

http://www.markpicone.com/buddy/
http://www.markpicone.com/jester/
http://www.markpicone.com/dude/

I really appreciate your input, It helps tremendously.

mark

NeoStrider 11-12-2006 06:56 AM

i remember trying to watch those before... any way you can redo them into video files (avi, mpg, mp4, etc) so they're more watchable?

starjsjswars 11-12-2006 06:58 AM

Hey work you just have to open them 1 at a time.

NeoStrider 11-12-2006 07:16 AM

yea i guess it might have been i was trying to watch them at home *shrug*

well buddy: looks pretty good, i would think he would go as high as his eyebrows do, but your squash and stretch and anticipation is basically what i would have expected to see... maybe a little wiggle in his toes when he reaches the top.

jester: walk looks great! all i'd really wanna see more out of him is some bounce from the points coming from his hat... maybe a little spring from the twirly parts of his shoes?

dude: was still choppy for me to watch, but from what i can make out, the ambient motion works ok. that's all i've got there.

erictacti 11-12-2006 08:18 AM

'maybe add a breast pocket. And by that I mean a pocket on the breast of the coat, as opposed to a pocket you pull titties from '

lol, Classic!

Ahem...I also agree with petrol about the glasses. That was an excellent point. The safety goggle idea would really set the model off, IMHO.

The animations are cool. I didn't know flash could produce such things.

I liked Buddy. I liked the style and theme. I think the eyebrows go a tad bit high, but I see the theme of them being 'disjointed' from his head/face/body, so it works.

Jester was your best, IMHO. The walk was really energetic and expressive, and fit the character well. I agree with NeoStrider (once again:p ) that the hat could of used a bit more of a bounce, and maybe the shoe tips as well. The only part I noticed that needed some work was the eyes and mouth. There was a bit too much bounce in the eyes, but the mouth didn't budge. Unless this was some sort of mask, in which the mouth wouldn't move. In that case, you pulled it off swimmingly. But, he's an awesome model. I like it a lot. Great work!

Dude was my least favorite. Not that is was very bad, but it just looked more like an unfinished animatic than a completed animation, IMHO. But, it was a good start.

I'd like to see what you could come up with using the Professor and the Jester. I think a whole Mad Scientist/Frankenstein type animation would be awesome. Just a thought.;)